Properties of Electrolytic Silver-Based Alloy
The composition of a dicyanoargentate electrolyte for applying a silver–antimony–boron alloy to electrical contacts and a method for the preparation of this electrolyte are given. Potassium dicarboundecaborate was used in the electrolyte as a boron-containing additive. The dependences of the physical and mechanical properties of the electrolytic silver–antimony–boron alloy (the microhardness, the wear resistance under the conditions of boundary friction with steel St 45 at a load of 5 N, the electric resistivity, the transient electrical resistance at a current of 0.025–1.000 A in the circuit and a load of 0.05–1.00 N at the point contact, the internal stresses, the adhesion to the base of copper and its alloys, the porosity at a coating thickness of 3 μm, the solder spreading coefficient, and the current yield of the alloy) on the electrolyte composition, the concentration of components in the electrolysis, the electrolysis conditions, and the temperature of the coating thermal treatment are studied. The composition of the alloy and the comparative characteristics of the physical and mechanical properties of the silver–antimony–boron and silver–antimony alloys and pure electrolytic silver are given. The possibilities of the application of the studied alloy, which possesses not only high electrical characteristics and soldering ability but also high reliability and durability, i.e., a high wear resistance, corrosion resistance, and microhardness, in the radio engineering, electrical engineering, and instrumentation industries as a coating for electrical contacts are shown.
Keywordswear resistance corrosion resistance microhardness internal stress porosity adhesion resistivity and transient electrical resistance electrical contacts alloy silver antimony boron physical and mechanical properties galvanized coating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yampol’skii, A.M., Elektroliticheskoe osazhdenie blagorodnykh i redkikh metallov (The Electrolytic Deposition of Noble and Rare Metals), Leningrad: Mashinostroenie, 1977.Google Scholar
- 2.Vyacheslavov, P.M., Elektroliticheskoe osazhdenie splavov (The Electrolytic Deposition of Alloys), Leningrad: Mashinostroenie, 1971.Google Scholar
- 3.Belen’kii, M.A. and Ivanov, A.F., Elektroosazhdenie metallicheskikh pokrytii (Electrodeposition of Metal Coatings), Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.Yampol’skii, A.M. and Il’in, V.A., Kratkii spravochnik gal’vanotekhnika (Brief Handbook of Electroplating Worker), Leningrad: Mashinostroenie, 1981.Google Scholar
- 5.Shul’ga, G.I., Metodicheskie ukazaniya po kursu Tekhnologiya mashinostroeniya (Methodical Recommendations for the Course on Technology of Machine Engineering), Novocherkassk: Novocherkassk. Politekh. Inst., 1989.Google Scholar
- 6.Mel’nikov, P.S., Spravochnik po gal’vanopokrytiyam v mashinostroenii (Handbook on Electroplating in Mechanical Engineering), Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1979.Google Scholar
- 7.OST4 GO.033.000. Flyusy i pripoi dlya paiki. Sostav, svoistva, oblast’ primeneniya (OST4 GO.033.000: Fluxes and Solder for Soldering. Composition, Properties, and Application), Moscow, 1973.Google Scholar
- 8.Popereka, M.Ya., Vnutrennie napryazheniya elektroliticheski-osazhdaemykh metallov (Internal Stresses Electrolytically Deposited Metals), Novosibirsk: Nauchno-Sib. Knizhn. Izd., 1966.Google Scholar
- 9.Koshkin, N.I. and Shirkevich, M.G., Spravochnik po elementarnoi fizike (Handbook of Elementary Physics), Moscow: Nauka, 1980.Google Scholar
- 10.Rukovodyashchie tekhnicheskie materialy elektronnoi tekhniki. Metody uskorennykh korrozionnykh ispytanii metallov, splavov i gal’vanicheskikh pokrytii. Redaktsiya 1-64, 1965: RMO 1346–63. Elektrokontaktnye detali (materialy i pokrytiya) (Manual on Engineering Materials for Electronics. Methods of Accelerated Corrosion Tests of Metals, Alloys, and Galvanic Coatings. Edition 1–64, 1965: RMO 1346–63. Electrocontact Elements: Materials and Coatings), Moscow, 1964.Google Scholar
- 11.Kats, K.A., Gavrish, N.M., Voronina, G.P., and Bondarev, V.V., Protection of silver coatings from fogging, in Gal’vanicheskie i khimicheskie pokrytiya dragotsennymi i redkimi metallami (Protection of Silver Coatings from Fogging. Galvanic and Chemical Coating of Precious and Rare Metals), Moscow: Mosk. Dom Nauchno-Tekh. Propag., 1978, pp. 60–66.Google Scholar
- 12.Kukoz, F.I., Kudryavtseva, I.D., Sysoev, G.N., Balakai, V.I., and Svitsyn, R.A., USSR Inventor’s Certificate no. 1770430, Byull. Izobret., 1992, no. 39.Google Scholar