The Detection of Echinothrips americanus Morgan (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) in the Republic of Moldova
For the first time in the Republic of Moldova, adults of the phytophagous thrips identified as Echinothrips americanus Morgan were caught in a greenhouse in 2013. Some systematic morphological particularities of the structure of adults of this invasive species originating from the subtropics of the southeastern part of the American continent are given. The probability of adaptation of E. americanus to the open ground in the Republic of Moldova is discussed. The conclusion is made that the risks of accumulation and spreading of the E. americanus increase in the process of conjoint cultivation of ornamental plants and seedlings of vegetable crops in commercial greenhouses and hothouses. It is proposed to include this pest in the list of quarantine alien insects of the Republic of Moldova. The necessity of the monitoring species of Thysanoptera in the commercial hothouses and greenhouses is justified.
KeywordsEchinothrips americanus Morgan invasion greenhouse Botanical Garden Moldova
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bugaeva, T. and Mironova, T., Climatic and Agroclimatic Characteristics of Winter in the Territory of Moldova, 2017 (Electronic Document). www.meteo.md/rus/zimarus. Accessed December 8, 2017.Google Scholar
- Collins, D.W., Recent interceptions of Echinothrips americanus (Morgan) (Thysanoptera, Thripidae) imported into England, Entomol. Mon. Mag., 1998, vol. 134, pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- Dyadechko, N.P., Tripsy, ili bakhromchatokrylye nasekomye Evropeiskoi chasti SSSR (Trips, Insects of the European Part of the USSR), Kyiv: Urozhai, 1964.Google Scholar
- Klishina, I.S. and Drugova, E.V., American thrips (Echinothrips americanus Morgan), Zashch. Karantin Rast., 2009, no. 4, pp. 35–37.Google Scholar
- Kobro, S., On the Norwegian thrips fauna (Thysanoptera), Norw. J. Entomol., 2003, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 17–32.Google Scholar
- Mirab-balou, M., Lu, H., and Chen, X.-X.M., First record of Echinothrips americanus Morgan (Thysanoptera, Thripidae) in Mainland China, with notes on distribution and host plants, Acta Zootaxonom. Sin., 2010, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 674–679.Google Scholar
- Oetting, R.D. and Beshear, R.J., Biology of the greenhouse pest Echinothrips americanus Morgan (Thysanoptera: Thripidae), Zoology (J. Pure Appl. Biol.), 1994, vol. 4, pp. 307–315.Google Scholar
- Oetting, R.D., Beshear, R.J., Liu, T.X., Braman, S.K., and Baker, J.R., Biology and identification of thrips on greenhouse ornamentals, Res. Bull. Univ. Georgia, Georgia Agric. Exp. Stat., 1993, vol. 414, pp. 10–20.Google Scholar
- On the approval of a single list of quarantine facilities of the Eurasian Economic Union, 2016, no. 158. https://docs.eaeunion.org/docs/en-us/01213201/cncd_06032017_158. Accessed December 8, 2017.
- Opit, G.P., Peterson, B., Gillespie, D.R., and Costello, R.A., The life cycles and management of Echinothrips americanus (Thysanoptera: Thripidae), J. Entomol. Soc. B. C., 1997, no. 94, pp. 3–6.Google Scholar
- PaDIL (Pest and Diseases Image Library), Morphological methods for Poinsettia thrips, 2017. http://www.pbt.padil.gov.au. Accessed December 8, 2017.
- Sukhoruchenko, G.I., Ivanova, G.P., and Kudryashova, L.Yu., Amerikanskii trips (Echinothrips americanus Morgan)— novyi adventivnyi vreditel’ kul’tur zashchishchennogo grunta v Rossii (Echinothrips americanus Morgan—A New Adventive Pest of Protected Ground Crops in Russia), Grichanov, I.Ya., Ed., St. Petersburg: All- Russia Inst. Zashch. Rast., 2016 (Plant Protection News, supplements, no. 19).Google Scholar
- Verderevskaya, T.D., Tertyak, D.D., and Voinyak, O.V., Tomato spotted wilt virus (TSWV), Mater. Nauchnoprakt. konf. “Zashchita ovoshchebakhchevykh kul’tur i kartofelya ot vreditelei i boleznei,” Tezisy dokladov (Sci.- Pract. Conf. “Protection of Vegetable Crops and Potatoes against Pests and Diseases,” Abstracts of Papers), Tiraspol, 1996, pp. 143–144.Google Scholar
- Vierbergen, G., Amerikaanse thrips—nieuwe belager in paprika, Groenten Fruit, 1997, vol. 24, pp. 12–13.Google Scholar
- Vierbergen, G., Echinothrips americanus Morgan, a new thrips in Dutch greenhouse (Thysanoptera: Thripidae), Proc. Sect. Exp. Appl. Entomol. Neth. Entomol. Soc., 1998, vol. 9, pp. 155–160.Google Scholar
- Vierbergen, G., Occurrence of glasshouse Thysanoptera in the open in the Netherlands, Proc. 7th Int. Symp. “Thysanoptera: Thrips and Tospoviruses,” Marullo, R. and Mound, L., Eds., Calabria, 2001, pp. 359–362.Google Scholar
- Zhu, L., The discovery and biology of the invasive thrips Echinothrips americanus in China, Proc. 2th Int. Congr. on Biological Invasions, “Biological Invasions, Ecological Safety and Food Security,” Ongdao, 2013, p. 260.Google Scholar