Morphological variability in black-striped pipefish Syngnathus nigrolineatus in relation to its invasion into the Volga basin reservoirs
- 46 Downloads
A number of morphological features were studied in the newly forming and aboriginal populations of black-striped pipefish Syngnathus nigrolineatus. The features studied (ratio of the head length to the body length, the length of rostrum to body length, the number of rays in dorsal and pectoral fins, the number of body and caudal cingula) are not suitable for attributing the fish to a subspecies and establishment of the origin of the Volga populations, since there is a marked overlapping of the ranges of feature values between the samples.
Keywordspipefish Syngnathus nigrolineatus Volga River
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berg, L.S., Syngnathus nigrolineatus Eichwald.—blackstriped pipefish, in Ryby presnykh vod SSSR i sopredel’nykh stran (Freshwater Fishes of USSR and Adjacent Countries), Moscow: Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1949, part 3, pp. 927–1382.Google Scholar
- Gavlena, F.K., Black-striped pipefish Syngnathus nigrolineatus Eichwald from the Black Sea is a new element of ichthyofauna of Volga basin, Vopr. Ikhtiol., 1974, vol. 14, pp. 919–920.Google Scholar
- Evlaov, I.A., Kozlovskii, S.V., and Antonov, P.I., Kadastr ryb Samarskoi oblasti (Register of Fishes of Samara Oblast), Tolyatti: Inst. Ekol. Volzh. Basseina, Ross. Akad. Nauk, 1998.Google Scholar
- Kiryukhina, N.A. and Kholodova, M.V., Analysis of polymorphism of control region of mitochondrial DNA in domestic and invasive populations of black-striped pipefish Syngnathus nigrolineatus Eichwald, 1831 from the Black Sea, Dokl. Akad. Nauk, 2011, vol. 437, no. 1, pp. 136–138.Google Scholar
- Kuderskii, L.A., More about self-settlement of fishes, Rybokhoz. Izuch. Vnutr. Vodoemov, 1971, vol. 6, pp. 22–24.Google Scholar
- Movchan, Yu.V., Marine black-striped pipefish—Syngnathus nigrolineatus Eichwald, in Fauna Ukrainy. Ryby (Fauna of Ukraine: Fishes), Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 1988, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 209–218.Google Scholar
- Sharonov, I.V., Extension of areal of some fishes related with regulated drainage of Volga, in Mater. Pervoi konf. po izucheniyu vodoemov basseina Volgi. “Volga-I. Problemy izucheniya i ratsional’nogo ispol’zovaniya biologicheskikh resursov vodoemov” (Proc. First. Conf. on Study of Volga basin reservoirs “Volga-I, Problems of Study and Rational Use of Biological Resources of Reservoirs”), Dzyuban, N.A., Ed., Kuibyshev: Knizh. Izd., 1971, pp. 226–232.Google Scholar
- Vasil’eva, E.D., Syngnathus abaster Risso, 1827—blackstriped pipefish, in Ryby Chernogo morya. Opredelitel’ morskikh, solonovatovodnykh, evrigalinnykh i prokhodnykh vidov (Fishes of the Black Sea: Key to Identification of Marine, Saltish, Euryhaline, and Migration Species), Moscow: Vses. Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Morsk. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., 2007, pp. 74–75.Google Scholar
- Zav’yalov, E.V., Ruchin, A.B., Shlyakhtin, G.V., et al., Fishes of the north of Lower Volga, in Sostav ikhtiofauny, metody izucheniya (Composition of Ichthyofauna and Study Methods), Saratov: Saratov. Univ., 2007, book 1.Google Scholar
- Zhivotovskii, L.A., Index of intrapopulation diversity, Zh. Obshch. Biol., 1980, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 828–836.Google Scholar