Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire in Moscow ash trees
- First Online:
- 37 Downloads
An invasive species of an aggressive plant pest, the emerald ash borer (EAB), Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (=A. feretriue Obenberger, A. marcopoli Obenberger), was found and identified in Moscow ash trees for the first time in 2005. The widespread withering of Moscow ashes had been registering since 2004 and EAB was considered to be the main reason for this process. A short description of the insect structure, biology, and usual ranges of distribution is presented. The Palaearctic Oobius zahaikevitshi Trjapitzin [Tryapitsyn, 1989], which parasitizes in the eggs of narrow-body borers, may be considered as an available species for EAB pest control. It seems likely that the EAB was brought in at the beginning of the 1990s with planting material from North America. Transport of the insects with wooden tare from China directly could be another possible path of the invasion. The species should be viewed as a quarantine one.
Key wordsnarrow-body borers emerald ash borer quarantine species Moscow ashes invasion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Agrilus Planipennis Fairmaire, Emerald Ash Borer. Science Branch, 2002 // http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/sci/surv/data/agrplae.shtml
- Haack, R.A., Jendek, E., Houping, Liu, Narchant, K.R., Petrice, T.R., Poland, T.M., and Hui, Ye., The Emerald Ash Borer: a New Exotic Pest in North America, Newsletter of the Michigan Entomological Society, 2002, vol. 47, nos. 1–5.Google Scholar
- Hermes, D.A., Stone, A.K., and Chatfield, J.A., Emerald ash borer: the beginning of the end of ash in North America? 2003 // http://hancock.osu.edu/hort/mgpdf/hermsbeginofend.pdf
- Liu, H.-P., Bauer, L.S., Gao, R.-T., Zhao, T.-H., Petrice, T.R., and Haack, R.A., Exploratory Survey for the Emerald Ash Borer, Agrilus Planipennis (Col.: Buprestidae), and Its Natural Enemies in China, The Great Lakes Entomologist, 2003, vol. 36, pp. 191–204.Google Scholar
- Mecteau, M. and Marchant, K., Emerald Ash Borer in Essex County, Ontario, NAPPO Newsletter, 2003, pp. 4–5.Google Scholar
- *NAPPO Pest Alert. Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire 1888 — Exotic Emerald Ash Borer (EAB), Agrilus planipennis, reported in Michigan, United States and Ontario, Canada // http://www.pest.alert.org
- *Nomura, S., Agrilus planipennis. Canadian food inspection Agency Science Branch // http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/sci/surv/data/agrplae.shtml
- Tryapitsyn, V.A., Naezdniki-entsirtidy (Hymenoptera, Encyrtidae) Palearktiki (The Encyrtid Wasps (Hymenoptera, Encyrtidae) of the Palearctic), Leningrad: Nauka, 1989.Google Scholar
- *Volkovich M.G., Spisok zlatok (Buprestidae) fauny Rossii (A list of the metallic wood borers (Buprestidae) of the Russian Fauna) //http://www.zin.ru/Animalia/Coleoptera/rus/bup-rus.htm
- Yang, Z.,-Q., Strazanac J.S., Yao Y.-X., and Wang X.-Y., A New Species of Emerald Ash Borer Parastoid To the Genus Tetrastichus Haliday (Hym.: Eulopidae), Proc. Entomol. Soc. Wash, 2006, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 550–558.Google Scholar