Indoor laser-based SLAM for micro aerial vehicles
- 83 Downloads
This article presents a laser-based 2D simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM) algorithm for indoor environments. An adaption and optimization of a ground vehicle SLAM solution (TinySLAM) for the use with Micro Aerial Vehicles is proposed. Optimizations of the map update strategy and a motion model improves the accuracy strongly. An extension to 3D mapping is introduced. The presented algorithm is tested with simulated and real world data. The optimized SLAM solution maps a whole floor of an office building very accurately and achieves embedded real-time capability.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Elizzar, A., Parr, R., DP-SLAM: Fast, robust Simultaneous Localization and Mapping without predetermined landmarks, International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), Acapulco, Mexico 2003, pp. 1135–1142.Google Scholar
- 4.Leonard, J. and Durrant-Whyte, H., Mobile robot localization by tracking geometric beacons, IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, 1991, pp. 376–382.Google Scholar
- 6.Montemerlo, M., Thrun, S., Koller, D., and Wegbreit, B., FastSLAM: A factored solution to the Simultaneous Localization and Mapping Problem, 18th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-02) Proceedings, Edmonton, Canada, 2002, pp. 593–598.Google Scholar
- 8.Bloesch, M., Weiss, S., Scaramuzza, D., and Siegwart, S., Vision based MAV navigation in unknown and unstructured environments, IEEE International Conference on Roboics and Automation (ICRA), Anchorage, USA, 2010, pp. 21–28.Google Scholar
- 9.Alpen, M., Frick, K., and Horn, J., A real-time onboard orthogonal SLAM for an indoor UAV, 5th International Conference on Intelligent Robotics and Applications (ICIRA), Proceedings, Volume Part III, Montreal, Canada, 2012, pp. 542–551.Google Scholar
- 10.Bachrach, A., He, R., and Roy, N., Autonomous flight in unstructured and unknown indoor environments, European Micro Air Vehicle Conference and Flight Competition (EMAV), Delft, Netherlands, 2009, pp. 21–28.Google Scholar
- 11.Steux, B. and El Hamzaoui, O., TinySLAM: A SLAM algorithm in less than 200 lines C-language program, 11th International Conference on Control Automation Robotics & Vision (ICARCV), Singapore, 2010, pp. 1975–1979.Google Scholar
- 12.Steux, B., El Hamzaoui, O., SLAM algorithm with parallel localization loops: TinySLAM 1.1., IEEE International Conference on Automation and Logistics (ICAL), Chonqing, China, 2011, pp. 137–142.Google Scholar
- 13.Doer, C., Scholz, G., Trommer, G.F., Grid-based Laser SLAM for Micro Aerial Vehicles, 23rd St. Petersburg International Conference on Integrated Navigation Systems, St. Petersburg, Russia, pp. 463–467.Google Scholar
- 15.Scanning Laser Range Finder UTM-30LX-EW Specification, Hokuyo Automatic CO. LTD, 2012.12.03.Google Scholar