Alkaline-Modified Activated Carbons for Removing Hydrogen Sulfide from Air via Sorption and Catalytic Oxidation: Studying the Effect of Thermal Treatment on the Properties of Materials
- 6 Downloads
Modified carbon materials are prepared via the incipient wetness impregnation of activated carbon with a sodium hydroxide solution followed by thermal treatment in air at moderate temperatures (60–200°C). The prepared samples are tested for their capacity to remove hydrogen sulfide from air via catalytic sorption. The effect of the temperature of thermal treatment (activation) on the dynamic H2S sorption capacity of the modified carbon materials is highlighted. By modifying activated carbons via incipient wetness impregnation with aqueous NaOH, followed by thermal treatment in air at 200°C, it is possible to increase the dynamic sorption capacity of carbon materials for H2S by a factor of more than 8. The results from this study can be used in developing new materials for removing hydrogen sulfide from air on the basis of commercially available types of activated carbons.
Keywords:hydrogen sulfide activated carbon sodium hydroxide air purification sorption capacity oxidation
We are grateful to A. M. Tsapina and A. A. Saraev for X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy measurements.
This work was performed as part of the state taks for the Boreskov Institute of Catalysis, Siberian Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, project no. АААА-А17-117041710077-4.
- 1.Active Carbon, Bansal, R.C., Donnet, J.B., and Stoeckli, F., Eds., New York: Marcel Dekker, 1988.Google Scholar
- 2.Radovic, L.R. and Sudhakar, C., in Introduction to Carbon Technologies, Marsh, H., Heintz, E.A., and Rodriguez-Reinoso, F., Eds., Alicante: University of Alicante, 1997, pp. 103–165.Google Scholar
- 4.Hedden, K., Humber, L., and Rao, B.R., VDI-Ber., 1976, no.253, pp. 37–42.Google Scholar
- 17.Ismagilov, Z.R., Khairulin, S.R., Nevedrov, A.V., Papin, A.V., and Zhbyr’, E.V., Vestn. Kuzbasskogo Gos. Tekh. Univ., 2013, no. 1, pp. 87–92.Google Scholar
- 18.ASTM (International Standard) D6646-03: Test Method for Determination of the Accelerated Hydrogen Sulfide Breakthrough Capacity of Granular and Pelletized Activated Carbon, 2014.Google Scholar
- 20.Maltseva, N.V., Golovin, V.A., Chikunova, Yu.O., and Gribov, E.N., Elektrokhimiya, 2018, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 489–496.Google Scholar
- 25.Mazgarov, A.M. and Kornetova, O.M., Tekhnologii ochistki poputnogo neftyanogo gaza ot serovodoroda (Technology for the Purification of Associated Petroleum Gas from Hydrogen Sulfide), Kazan: Kazan. Gos. Univ., 2015.Google Scholar
- 26.Agaev, G.A., Nasteka, V.I., and Seidov, Z.D., Okislitel’nye protsessy ochistki sernistykh prirodnykh gazov i uglevodorodnykh kondensatov (Oxidative Processes for the Purification of Sour Natural Gases and Hydrocarbon Condensates), Moscow: Nedra, 1996.Google Scholar