Behavior of a Two-Phase Gas–Liquid Flow at the Inlet into a Catalytic Reactor
- 11 Downloads
The behavior of a two-phase flow inside the inlet pipeline of a catalytic reactor is investigated. In addition to the classical approach using familiar flow diagrams, means of computational fluid dynamics are used for three-dimensional modeling of the spatial distribution of phases in the pipeline during operation. Results show a nonuniform distribution of the liquid phase over the over the pipeline outlet cross section surface, plus a mass flow of the liquid phase that is not stable over time. The maximum peak flow rates exceed the average values by ~300%. Compared to data from flow diagrams, CFD modeling shows that a change in the gas flow in the investigated range does not alter the nature of a two-phase flow, but an increase in the gas flow reduces the irregularity of the distribution of the liquid phase over the pipeline outlet cross section. Data on the behavior of a flow are needed to design catalytic reactor structures that ensure the uniform distribution of a two-phase flow to the catalyst bed for, e.g., hydrotreating reactors in the oil refining industry.
Keywords:two-phase gas-liquid flow hydrotreating processes two-phase flow pattern maps computational fluid dynamics (CFD) spatial flow distribution
This work was performed as a part of the state task for the Boreskov Institute of Catalysis, project no. АААА-А17-117041710077-4.
- 1.Wallis, G.B., One-Dimensional Two-Phase Flow, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1969.Google Scholar
- 2.Chisholm, D., Two-Phase Flows in Pipelines and Heat Exchangers, London: George Godwin, 1983.Google Scholar
- 3.Baker, O., Oil Gas J., 1954, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 185–195.Google Scholar
- 5.Golan, L.P. and Stenning, A.H., Proc.—Inst. Mech. Eng., 1969, vol. 184, no. 3, pp. 110–116.Google Scholar
- 6.Lee, A.-H., Sun, J.-H., and Jepson, W.P., Abstract of Papers, Proc. 3rd Int. Offshore Polar Eng. Conf., Singapore, 1993, vol. 2, p 159.Google Scholar
- 7.Whalley, P.B., Boiling, Condensation, and Gas-Liquid Flow, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1987.Google Scholar
- 10.Pinto del Corral, N., Analysis of Two-Phase Flow Pattern Maps. http://www.energetickeforum.cz/ext/2pf/ maps/Documents/Analysis_of_maps.pdf. Cited October 15, 2018.Google Scholar
- 11.Vargaftik, N.B., Spravochnik po teplofizicheskim svoistvam gazov i zhidkostei (Handbook on the Thermophysical Properties of Gases and Liquids), Moscow: Nauka, 1972.Google Scholar
- 12.ANSYS Official Website, ANSYS FLUENT User’s Guide. https://www.pdfdrive.com/ansys-fluent-users-guide-e6036262.html. Cited July 7, 2019.Google Scholar