Enhanced adhesion strength of polymer fiber/epoxy matrix in terphase as a result of their modification by detonation nanodiamond soot
- 41 Downloads
The presented study is dedicated to evaluation of the effect of two types of detonation nanodiamond soot particles differing in surface charge polarity on the adhesion strength of the interphase between highly oriented poly(vinyl alcohol) fibers and epoxy matrix. Two major strategies for such modification are considered: 1—only one of the constituent components (either matrix or fiber) is being impregnated with nanodiamond soot; 2—both components of the composite system are being modified with nanodiamond soot. The second approach is further complicated by the fact that fiber and epoxy matrix can either be modified by the same type of nanodiamond soot (i.e. fiber and matrix both contain particles of equal surface polarity) or the modification is being carried out by using different types of nanodiamond soot for impregnating the fiber and the matrix (which results in these components containing disperse particles of the same morphology but opposite surface charge polarity). In the presented study both approaches are addressed.
KeywordsEpoxy Matrix Vinyl Alcohol Deformation Curve Polymer Fiber Detonation Synthesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.M. Nardin and J. Schultz, “Relationship between fiber-matrix adhesion and the interfacial shear strength in polymer-based composites,” Compos. Interfaces, No. 1, 172–192 (1993).Google Scholar
- 9.V. Yu. Dolmatov, Detonation Synthesis Ultradispersed Diamonds: Production, Properties, Application (SPb. Gos. Univ., St.-Petersburg, 2003) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 11.K. E. Perepelkin, Reinforcing Fibers and Fibrous Polymer Composites (Nauch. Osnovy Tekhnol., St.-Petersburg, 2009) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 12.T. S. Kurkin, A. N. Ozerin, A. S. Kechek’yan, O. T. Gritsenko, L. A. Ozerina, G. G. Alkhanishvili, V. G. Sushchev, and V. Yu. Dolmatov, “The structure and properties of polymer composite fibers based on poly(vinyl alcohol) and nanodiamond of detonation synthesis,” Nanotechnol. Russ. 5, No. 5–6, 340–351 (2010).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.V. V. Boyko, A. A. Kuznetsov, G. K. Semenova, M. S. Tsarkova, V. G. Krasovskii, and A. N. Ozerin, “Gel-free saponification process of polyvinyl acetate in aqueous-alcohol media,” Plast. Massy 22, No. 4, (2003).Google Scholar
- 14.V. V. Boyko, A. A. Kuznetsov, G. K. Semenova, and A. N. Ozerin, “Gel-free process of synthesis of poly(vinyl alcohol),” Russ. Chem. Bull., No. 3, 735 (2003).Google Scholar
- 15.Yu. A. Gorbatkina, Adhesive Strength of Fiber-Polymer Systems (Khimiya, Moscow, 1987) [in Russian].Google Scholar