Flow Bifurcations of Shear-Thinning Fluids in a Channel with Sudden Contraction and Expansion
- 9 Downloads
The flow bifurcation transitions of shear-thinning fluids in a channel with sudden contraction and expansion are studied by means of numerical modeling. The rheological properties of the non-Newtonian fluids under consideration are described with the Carreau–Yasuda model. Flow-bifurcation diagrams for media with different viscosity curves are calculated. It is shown that the values of the critical Reynolds number in the bifurcation point and length of the formed corner vortices substantially depend on the slope of the viscosity curve.
Keywords:variable cross-section channel shear-thinning fluids flow bifurcation
The numerical calculations were performed using the computational resources of the Joint Supercomputer Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
The scientific research work was supported in part by grants within the framework of the State Assignments under Contract nos. 0082-2014-0013 and 0089-2019-0001, and by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (project no. 18-29-17072).
- 2.Y. A. Litvinenko, G. R. Grek, G. V. Kozlov, et al., EUCASS Proc. Ser. 3, 429 (2012).Google Scholar
- 6.I. V. Kravchenko, S. A. Patlazhan, R. Muller, et al., J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 774, 012026 (2016).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Motaharinezhad, S. Shahraki, R. Tirgar, et al., Indian J. Sci. Res. 1, 47 (2014).Google Scholar
- 13.P. J. Oliveira, J. Non-Newton. Fluid Mech. 160, 40 (2009).Google Scholar
- 14.A. Lanzaro and X. F. Yuan, J. Non-Newton. Fluid Mech. 166, 1064 (2011).Google Scholar
- 15.P. Ternik, J. Non-Newton. Fluid Mech. 157, 15 (2009).Google Scholar
- 16.P. Ternik, J. Non-Newton. Fluid Mech. 165, 1400 (2010).Google Scholar
- 17.S. Dhinakaran, M. S. N. Oliveira, F. T. Pinho, et al., J. Non-Newton. Fluid Mech. 198, 48 (2013).Google Scholar
- 18.C. M. Balan and C. Balan, U.P.B. Sci. Bull., Ser. D 72, 121 (2010).Google Scholar
- 20.A. A. Al-Habahbeh, PhD Thesis (Michigan Technological Univ., 2013).Google Scholar
- 23.R. Pravesh, A. Dhiman, and R. P. Bharti, J. Brazil. Soc. Mech. Sci. Eng. 41, 88 (2019).Google Scholar
- 24.R. Manica and A. L. de Bortoli, J. Non-Newton. Fluid Mech. 121, 35 (2004).Google Scholar