Protein kinase C regulates mitochondrial motility
- 63 Downloads
Functions of mitochondria depend on their intracellular localization, which often coincides with regions of the highest ATP consumption. Transport of mitochondria along microtubules and actin microfilaments and their anchoring by cytoskeletal structures are regulated by exogenous endogenous factors. Changes in mitochondrial motility induced by protein kinase C activity modulators were studied using video microscopy of live fibroblasts expressing a GFP-tagged mitochondrial marker. Intracellular activation of protein kinase C by 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA) significantly enhances mitochondrial mobility, whereas the protein kinase C inhibitor bis-indolylmaleimide fully suppresses it. The activating effect of TPA on mitochondrial movement is not due to rearrangements in the actin cytoskeleton, since it persists in cells treated with latrunculin B disrupting F-actin. No effect of TPA on mitochondrial mobility is observed in MFT-16 cells devoid of intermediate vimentin filaments. The data obtained suggest that protein kinase C regulates the interactions of mitochondria with intermediate filaments.
KeywordsActin Cytoskeleton Supplement Series Cytoskeletal Structure Mitochondrial Motility Vimentin Gene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 18.Leterrier, J.F., Rusakov, D.A., Nelson, B.D., and Linden, M., Interactions between brain mitochondria and cytoskeleton: evidence for specialized outer membrane domains involved in the association of cytoskeleton-associated proteins to mitochondria in situ and in vitro, Microsc. Res. Tech., 1994, vol. 27, pp. 233–261.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Kulik, A.V., Gyoeva, F.K., and Minin, A.A., Videomicroscopic study of mitochondrial mobility, Ontogenesis, 2002, vol. 33, pp. 366–373.Google Scholar
- 23.Nekrasova, O.E., Minin, An.A., Kulik, A.V., and Minin, A.A., Fibronectin regulation of shapes and intracellular distribution of mitochondria, Biol. Membranes, 2005, vol. 22, pp. 105–112.Google Scholar
- 24.Avsyuk, A.Yu., Khodyakov, A.L., Baibikova, E.M., Solovyanova, O.B., and Nadezhdina, E.S., Stability of vimentin intermediate filaments in interphasic cells, Dokl. Acad. Nauk, 1997, vol. 357, pp. 130–133.Google Scholar
- 29.Kulik, A.V., Nekrasova, O.E., and Minin, A.A., Fibrillar actin regulates mitochondrial mobility, Biol. Membranes, 2006, vol. 23, pp. 42–51.Google Scholar
- 30.Toullec, D., Pianetti, P., Coste, H., Belleverguel, P., Grand-Perret, T., Ajakanee, M., Baudet, V., Boissin, P., Boursier, E., Loriolle, F., Duhamel, L., Charon, D., and Kirilovsky, J., The bisindolylmaleimide GF 109203X is a potent and selective iInhibitor of protein kinase C, J. Biol. Chem., 1991, vol. 263, pp. 15771–15781.Google Scholar
- 35.Takai, Y., Ogawara, M., Tomono, Y., Moritoh, C., Imajoh-Ohmi, S., Tsutsumi, O., Taketani, Y., and Inagaki, M., Mitosis-specific phosphorylation of vimentin by protein kinase C coupled with reorganization of intracellular membranes, J. Cell Biol., 1996, vol. 133, pp. 141–149.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar