Cytophotometric determination of genome size in two species of Cyclops of Lake Baikal (Crustacea: Copepoda, Cyclopoida) in ontogenetic development
- 89 Downloads
The genome size of Cyclops in cells at early stages of cleavage (up to the fifth division) and in somatic cells was estimated by static digital Feulgen cytophotometry in order to study quantitative changes in DNA content during chromatin diminution. Described here cytophotometric method was approbated on five different digital-imaging systems in blood cells of four vertebrate species. In all cases, we observed a direct correlation between the data obtained with known from the literature on genome size and high reproducibility, which will allow these systems to be used in future work. We also optimized the conditions for DNA hydrolysis of both blood smears and for two species of Cyclops from the Moscow population as 30 min in 5 N HCl at 24°C. Here, we first revealed chromatin diminution in two endemic Baikal species of Cyclopoida: Acanthocyclops incolotaenia and Diacyclops galbinus. We estimated the extent of chromatin diminution in Diacyclops galbinus as 95.5–96.2%. Cytometric analysis of the third species, Mesocyclops leuckarti, did not reveal obvious chromatin diminution.
KeywordsCyclops chromatin diminution DNA cytophotometry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dorward, H.M., and Wyngaard, G.A., Variability and Pattern of Chromatin Diminution in the Freshwater Cyclopidae (Crustacea: Copepoda), Arch. Hydrobiol. Supplement, 1997, vol. 107, pp. 447–465.Google Scholar
- Einsle, U.K., Copepoda: Cyclopoida, Genera Cyclops, Megacyclops, Acanthocyclops, in Guides to the Identification of the Microinvertebrates of the Continental Waters of the World, Dumont, H.J.F., Ed., SPB Academic Publ., 1996, vol. 10.Google Scholar
- Grishanin, A.K., Cytogenetic Study of Chromatin Diminution in Freshwater Crustaceans-a New Approach to the Study of the Paradox of the Size of the Eukaryotic Genome, Extended Abstract of Doctoral (Biol.) Dissertation, 2008.Google Scholar
- Grishanin, A.K., Dahms, H.U., and Akifiev, A.P., Nuclear DNA Remarks on Chromatin Diminution in Cyclopoid Copepods, Zool. Stud., 2004, vol. 43, pp. 300–303.Google Scholar
- Grishanin, A.K., Shekhovtsov, S.V., Boikova, T.V., Akif’ev, A.P., and Zhimulev, I.F., Chromatin Diminution at the Border of the XX and XXI Centuries, Tsitologiya, 2006, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 379–397.Google Scholar
- Zagoskin, M.V., Marshak, T.L., Mukha, D.V., and Grishanin, A.K., Chromatin Diminution Regulates the Number of rRNA Genes in Copepods, Acta Naturae, 2010, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 58–64.Google Scholar