“Coherence–incoherence” transition in ensembles of nonlocally coupled chaotic oscillators with nonhyperbolic and hyperbolic attractors
- 45 Downloads
We consider in detail similarities and differences of the “coherence–incoherence” transition in ensembles of nonlocally coupled chaotic discrete-time systems with nonhyperbolic and hyperbolic attractors. As basic models we employ the Hénon map and the Lozi map. We show that phase and amplitude chimera states appear in a ring of coupled Hénon maps, while no chimeras are observed in an ensemble of coupled Lozi maps. In the latter, the transition to spatio-temporal chaos occurs via solitary states. We present numerical results for the coupling function which describes the impact of neighboring oscillators on each partial element of an ensemble with nonlocal coupling. Varying the coupling strength we analyze the evolution of the coupling function and discuss in detail its role in the “coherence–incoherence” transition in the ensembles of Hénon and Lozi maps.
Keywordsensemble of nonlocally coupled oscillators chimera states solitary states hyperbolic and nonhyperbolic attractors coupling function
MSC2010 numbers90B10 34D06 35B36
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kuramoto, Y. and Battogtokh, D., Coexistence of Coherence and Incoherence in Nonlocally Coupled Phase Oscillators, Nonlin. Phen. Compl. Sys., 2002, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 380–385.Google Scholar
- 13.Levy, R., Hutchison, W.D., Lozano, A.M., and Dostrovsky, J.O., High-Frequency Synchronization of Neuronal Activity in the Subthalamic Nucleus of Parkinsonian Patients with Limb Tremor, J. Neurosci., 2000, vol. 20, no. 20, pp. 7766–7775.Google Scholar
- 15.Funahashi, S., Bruce, C. J., and Goldman-Rakic, P. S., Neuronal Activity Related to Saccadic Eye Movements in the Monkey’s Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex, J. Neurophysiol., 1991, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 1464–1483.Google Scholar
- 25.Anishchenko, V. S., Complex Oscillations in Simple Systems: Mechanisms of the Structure and Properties of Dynamical Chaos in the Radio-Physical Systems, Moscow: Nauka, 1990 (Russian).Google Scholar
- 26.Afraimovich, V. S. and Shil’nikov, L.P., Strange Attractors and Quasiattractors, in Nonlinear Dynamics and Turbulence, G. I. Barenblatt, G. Iooss, D. D. Joseph (Eds.), Interaction Mech. Math. Ser., Boston,Mass.: Pitman, 1983, pp. 1–34.Google Scholar
- 29.Kuznetsov, S.P., Renormalization Group, Universality and Scaling in Dynamics of Coupled Map Lattices, in Theory and Applications of Coupled Map Lattices, K. Kaneko (Ed.), Nonlinear Science: Theory and Applications, vol. 12, Chichester: Wiley, 1993, pp. 51–94.Google Scholar
- 31.Bunimovich, L.A. and Sinai, Ya.G., Statistical Mechanics of Coupled Map Lattices in Theory and Applications of Coupled Map Lattices, K. Kaneko (Ed.), Nonlinear Science: Theory and Applications, vol. 12, Chichester: Wiley, 1993, pp. 169–189.Google Scholar