Attractor of Smale - Williams type in an autonomous distributed system
We consider an autonomous system of partial differential equations for a one-dimensional distributed medium with periodic boundary conditions. Dynamics in time consists of alternating birth and death of patterns with spatial phases transformed from one stage of activity to another by the doubly expanding circle map. So, the attractor in the Poincaré section is uniformly hyperbolic, a kind of Smale - Williams solenoid. Finite-dimensional models are derived as ordinary differential equations for amplitudes of spatial Fourier modes (the 5D and 7D models). Correspondence of the reduced models to the original system is demonstrated numerically. Computational verification of the hyperbolicity criterion is performed for the reduced models: the distribution of angles of intersection for stable and unstable manifolds on the attractor is separated from zero, i.e., the touches are excluded. The example considered gives a partial justification for the old hopes that the chaotic behavior of autonomous distributed systems may be associated with uniformly hyperbolic attractors.
KeywordsSmale -Williams solenoid hyperbolic attractor chaos Swift -Hohenberg equation Lyapunov exponent
MSC2010 numbers37D45 37D20 35B36
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Dynamical Systems 9: Dynamical Systems with Hyperbolic Behaviour, D.V. Anosov (Ed.), Encyclopaedia Math. Sci., vol. 9, Berlin: Springer, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.Kuznetsov, S.P., Example of a Physical System with a Hyperbolic Attractor of the Smale — Williams Type, Phys. Rev. Lett., 2005, vol. 95, no. 14, 144101, 4 pp.Google Scholar
- 11.Kuptsov, P.V., Kuznetsov, S.P., and Pikovsky, A., Hyperbolic Chaos of Turing Patterns, Phys. Rev. Lett., 2012, vol. 108, no. 19, 194101, 4 pp.Google Scholar
- 12.Isaeva, O.B., Kuznetsov, A. S., and Kuznetsov, S.P., Hyperbolic Chaos of Standing Wave Patterns Generated Parametrically by a Modulated Pump Source, Phys. Rev. E, 2013, vol. 87, no. 4, 040901(R), 4 pp.Google Scholar
- 13.Isaeva, O.B., Kuznetsov, A. S., and Kuznetsov, S.P., Hyperbolic Chaos in Parametric Oscillations of a String, Nelin. Dinam., 2013, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 3–10 (Russian).Google Scholar