A rigid body on a surface with random roughness
Consider an interval on a horizontal line with random roughness. With probability one it is supported at two points: one on the left, and another on the right from its center. We compute the probability distribution of the support points provided the roughness is fine grained. We also solve an analogous problem where a circle or a disk lies on a rough plane. Some applications in static are given.
Keywordsrigid body support with random roughness
MSC2010 numbers47N30 70C20
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Salnikova, T. V., Treschev, D. V., and Gallyamov, S.R., On the Motion of Free Disc on the Rough Horizontal Plane, Rus. J. Nonlin. Dyn., 2012, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 83–101 (Russian).Google Scholar
- 2.Burlakov, D. and Seslavina, A., On the Motion of a Cylindric Puck on the Horizontal Plane, Vestn. Udmurtsk. Univ. Mat. Mekh. Komp. Nauki, 2012, no. 4, pp. 125–139 (Russian).Google Scholar
- 3.Erdakova, N., Ivanova, T., and Treschev, D., On a Final Motion of Cylindric Bodies on a Rough Plane, Rus. J. Nonlin. Dyn., 2012, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 585–603 (Russian).Google Scholar
- 5.Ishlinsky, A.Yu., Sokolov, B. N., and Chernousko, F. L., On Motion of Flat Bodies with Friction, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR. Mekh. Tverd. Tela, 1981, no. 4, pp. 17–28 (Russian).Google Scholar
- 6.Kireenkov, A.A., On the Motion of a Homogeneous Rotating Disk along a Plane in the Case of Combined Friction, Mech. Solids, 2002, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 47–53; see also: Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk. Mekh. Tverd. Tela, 2002, no. 1, pp. 60–67.Google Scholar
- 7.Kireenkov, A. A., A Method for the Calculation of the Force and Torque of Friction in a Combined Model of Dry Friction for Circular Contact Areas, Mech. Solids, 2003, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 39–43; see also: Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk. Mekh. Tverd. Tela, 2003, no. 3, pp. 51–56.Google Scholar
- 12.Treschev, D., On the Support of a Body by a Surface with Random Roughness, arXiv:1305.4012 (2013).Google Scholar