Dynamics and geometry near resonant bifurcations
- 61 Downloads
This paper provides an overview of the universal study of families of dynamical systems undergoing a Hopf-Neĭmarck-Sacker bifurcation as developed in [1–4]. The focus is on the local resonance set, i.e., regions in parameter space for which periodic dynamics occurs. A classification of the corresponding geometry is obtained by applying Poincaré-Takens reduction, Lyapunov-Schmidt reduction and contact-equivalence singularity theory, equivariant under an appropriate cyclic group. It is a classical result that the local geometry of these sets in the nondegenerate case is given by an Arnol’d resonance tongue. In a mildly degenerate situation a more complicated geometry given by a singular perturbation of a Whitney umbrella is encountered. Our approach also provides a skeleton for the local resonant Hopf-Neĭmarck-Sacker dynamics in the form of planar Poincaré-Takens vector fields. To illustrate our methods a leading example is used: A periodically forced generalized Duffing-Van der Pol oscillator.
Keywordsperiodically forced oscillator resonant Hopf-Neĭmarck-Sacker bifurcation geometric structure Lyapunov-Schmidt reduction equivariant singularity theory
MSC2010 numbers37G15 37G40 34C25 34C29
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Arnol’d, V.I., Geometrical Methods in the Theory of Ordinary Differential Equations, Berlin: Springer, 1982.Google Scholar
- 6.Kuznetsov, Y., Elements of Applied Bifurcation Theory, Applied Mathematical Sciences, vol. 112, Berlin, New-York: Springer, 1995.Google Scholar
- 13.Takens, F., Forced Oscillations and Bifurcations, in Applications of global analysis, I (Sympos., Utrecht State Univ., Utrecht, 1973), Comm. Math. Inst. Rijksuniv. Utrecht, No. 3-1974, Utrecht: Math. Inst. Rijksuniv. Utrecht, 1974, pp. 1–59.Google Scholar
- 14.Takens, F., Singularities of Vector Fields, Publ. Math. IHES, 1974, vol. 42, pp. 48–100.Google Scholar
- 16.Vanderbauwhede, A., Branching of Periodic Solutions in Time-reversible Systems, in Geometry and Analysis in Non-linear Dynamics, H. Broer and F. Takens,Eds., Pitman Research Notes in Mathematics, vol. 222, Pitman London, 1992, pp. 97–113.Google Scholar