Regular and chaotic charged particle dynamics in low frequency waves and role of separatrix crossings
- 46 Downloads
We consider interaction of charged particles with an electromagnetic (electrostatic) low frequency wave propagating perpendicular to a uniform background magnetic field. The effects of particle trapping by the wave and further acceleration of a surfatron type are discussed in details. Method for this analysis based on the adiabatic theory of separatrix crossing is used. It is shown that particle can unlimitedly accelerate in the trapping in electromagnetic waves and energy of particle does not increase for the system with electrostatic wave.
Key wordssurfatron acceleration separatrix crossings adiabatic invariant
MSC2000 numbers70H11 70K55 70K70 37N05
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Artsimovich, L.A. and Sagdeev, R.Z., Plasma Physics for Physicists, Moscow: Atomizdat, 1979 (Russian).Google Scholar
- 3.Zaslavsky, G.M., Neishtadt, A.I., Petrovichev, B.A., and Sagdeev, R.Z., Mechanism for Enhanced Diffusion in a Wave-particle Interaction in a Weak Magnetic Field, Sov. J. Plasma, 1989, vol. 15, pp. 638–641.Google Scholar
- 4.Neishtadt, A.I., Artemyev, A.V., Zelenyi, L.M., and Vainchtein, D.L., Surfatron Acceleration in Electromagnetic Waves with Low Phase Velocity, Pisma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 2009, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 528–534 [JETP Lett., 2009, vol. 89, pp. 441–447].Google Scholar
- 6.Lifshits, I.M., Slutskin, A.A., and Nabutovskij, V.M., On the Phenomenon of Scattering of Charged Quasi-Particles at Singular Points in a p-space, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1961, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 553–556 (Russian).Google Scholar
- 7.Lifshits, I.M., Slutskin, A.A., and Nabutovskij, V.M., Motion of Charged Quasiparticles in a Varying Inhomogeneous Electromagnetic Field, Sov. Phys., JETP, 1962, vol. 14, pp. 669–675.Google Scholar
- 8.Gurevich, A.V. and Tsedilina, E.E., Long Distance Propagation of HF Radio Waves, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1985.Google Scholar
- 11.Henrard, J., The Adiabatic Invariant in Classical Mechanics, in: Dynamics Reported, Expositions in Dynamical Systems, vol. 2, Berlin: Springer, 1993, pp. 117–235.Google Scholar
- 12.Landau, L.D. and Lifshitz, E.M., Course of Theoretical Physics, Vol. 1: Mechanics, Oxford: Pergamon, 1988.Google Scholar
- 13.Sagdeev, R.Z., Reviews of Plasma Physics. Volume 4, New York: Consultants Bureau, 1966.Google Scholar