A New Superconducting Linac for the Nuclotron–NICA Facility: Progress Report
- 14 Downloads
The project for a new injector linac for the Nuclotron–NICA accelerator tandem has been under development since 2015. The linac will accelerate protons and light ions to energies of 25 MeV and ∼7.5 MeV/nucleon, respectively. To fulfill the project, technology for fabricating superconducting RF cavities needs to be developed. The current status of the project, including the linac design, the required parameters of RF cavities, and our simulations of beam dynamics, is presented. Technological restrictions on the RF cavity parameters are discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. V. Trubnikov, et al., “NICA project at JINR,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Particle Accelerator Conference IPAC’2016, pp. 2061–2065.Google Scholar
- 2.V. A. Andreev et al., “Reconstruction of light and polarized ion beam injection system of JINR nuclotron— NICA accelerator complex,” Vopr. At. Nauki Tekh., Ser.: Yad. Fiz. Issled., No. 6 (88), 8–12 (2013).Google Scholar
- 3.M. A. Gusarova, V. S. Dyubkov, S. M. Polozov, A. V. Samoshin, T. V. Kulevoy, A. A. Martynov, A. S. Plastun, V. A. Andreev, S. V. Barabin, A. V. Kozlov, V. A. Koshelev, G. N. Kropachev, R. P. Kuibeda, V. G. Kuzmichev, D. A. Liakin et al., “Research and design of a new RFQ injector for modernization of the LU-20 drift-tube Linac,” Phys. Part. Nucl. Lett. 13, 915 (2016).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.K. A. Aliev, S. M. Polozov, A. V. Samoshin, S.E. Toporkov, T. V. Kulevoy, G. N. Kropachev, A. V. Butenko, V. A. Monchinskiy, A. O. Sidorin, and G. V. Trubnikov, “On application of superconducting resonators for reconstruction of proton injector for nuclotron complex,” Phys. Part. Nucl. Lett. 13, 911 (2016).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.P. Derwent, S. Holmes, and V. Lebedev, “An 800MeV superconducting Linac to support megawatt proton opeartion at FERMILAB,” in Proceedings of the 27th Linear Accelerator Conference LINAC’2014, Geneva, Switzerland, 31 Aug.–05 Sept. 2014, pp. 807–810.Google Scholar
- 6.W. Barth et al., “A superconducting CW-LINAC for heavy ion acceleration at GSI,” in Proceedings of the 23rd International Baldin Seminar ISHEPP’16, EPJ Web of Conf. 138, 01026 (2017).Google Scholar
- 7.G. V. Trubnikov, T. V. Kulevoy, S. M. Polozov, et al., “New superconducting Linac injector project for Nuclotron-NICA: current results,” in Proceedings of the Russian Particle Accelerator Conference RuPAC’16, 2016, pp. 626–628.Google Scholar
- 10.A. V. Butenko, et al., “Status of R&D on new superconducting injector Linac for Nuclotron-NICA,” in Proceedings of IAC’17, 2017, pp. 3282–3285.Google Scholar
- 11.M. A. Gusarova et al., “Low betta superconducting cavity for the new injector Linac for Nuclotron-NICA,” in Proceedings of the International Particle Accelerator Conference IPAC’2017, pp. 1058–1060.Google Scholar