Effect of the modification of barium titanate on the permittivity of its composites with cyanoethyl ester of polyvinyl alcohol
The effect of chemical modification of submicron barium titanate particles by the deposition of MxOy (x = Ti, Co, Ni) oxide layers from aqueous solutions of the corresponding precursors is studied upon the surface properties of modified BaTiO3 particles and dielectric permittivity of organo-inorganic composites obtained by their dispersion in the matrix of cyanoethyl ester of polyvinyl alcohol and useful in electroluminescent light sources. It is shown that a significant increase (by about 25%) of the dielectric permittivity is observed only when adding Nb2O5, in comparison with a similar composite which contains unmodified BaTiO3. A correlation is found between the dielectric permittivity of the organo-inorganic composites and the presence of Brensted neutral and basic centers with pKa = 6−13, localized on the surface of a filler, being capable of interacting with the polymer matrix. It is shown that an increase of the dielectric permittivity upon deposition of niobium oxide on the surface of BaTiO3 is caused by formation of such centers and modification of the surface layer structure of BaTiO3 particles, with transformation of rutile-like Ti-O bonds to anataselike ones.
Keywordsbarium titanate organo-inorganic composites compatibility surface modification chemical codeposition high permittivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Myakin, S.V., Zagranichek, A.L., Sychev, M.M., Korsakov, V.G., Vasil’eva, I.V., Rodionov, A., and Ezhenkova, L.L., Increasing the Dielectric Constant of Cyanic Ester of Polyvinyl Alcohol and Its Composite with Barium Titanate by Electron-Beam Processing, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Khim. Khim. Tekhnol., 2010, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 120–124.Google Scholar
- 2.Weir, R.D. and Nelson, C.W., Electrical-Energy-Storage Unit (EESU) Utilising Ceramic and Integrated-Circuit Technologies for Replacement of Electrochemical Batteries, US Patent 7033406, 2001.Google Scholar
- 3.Terence, C.D. and Youngstown, N.Y., Dielectric Ceramic with High K, Low DF and Flat TC, US Patent 5029042, 1991.Google Scholar
- 4.Khashkovskii, S.V., Shilova, O.A., Khamova, T.V., and Reutovich, S.S., Method of Producing Composite Glass Ceramic Material, RF Patent 2204532, Byull. Izobret., 2003, no. 14.Google Scholar
- 6.Khamova, T.V., Shilova, O.A., and Khashkovskii, S.V., The Sol-Gel Method for Forming Silica Coating on the Surface of Aluminum Oxide Powder, Tekh. Tekhnol. Silik., 2006, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 17–31.Google Scholar
- 7.Tarasyuk, E.V., Shilova, O.A., Bochkin, A.M., and Pomogailo, A.D., Investigation into the Influence of Organic Modifiers and Ultradispersed Hybrid Fillers on the Structure and Properties of Glass-Ceramic Coatings Prepared by the Sol-Gel Method, Glass Phys. Chem., 2006, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 439–447.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Alekseev, S.A., Korsakov, V.G., Sychev, M.M., Likhacheva, O.V., Rodionov, A.G., and Ezhenkova, L.L., Effect of Donor-Acceptor Sites at a Barium Titanate Surface on the Properties of Composites Based on Cyanoethyl Polyvinyl Alcohol, Russ. J. Phys. Chem. A, 2006, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 601–604.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Alekseev, S.A., Influence of Donor-Acceptor Properties of the Surface Functional Fillers on the Characteristics of Composites with Cyanogen Ester of Polyvinyl Alcohol, Cand. Sci. (Chem.) Dissertation, St. Petersburg State Technical University, St. Petersburg, 2005.Google Scholar
- 10.Korsakov, V.G., Alekseev, S.A., Sychev, M.M., Tsvetkova, M.N., Komarov, E.V., Li, B., Myakin, S.V., and Vasil’eva, I.V., Estimation of the Permittivity of Polymeric Composite Dielectrics from the Surface Characteristics of the Filler Using a Thermodynamic Model, Russ. J. Appl. Chem., 2007, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 1931–1935.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Vasil’eva, I.V., Myakin, S.V., Rylova, E.V., and Korsakov, V.G., Electron-Beam Modification of the Surface of Oxide Materials (SiO2 and BaTiO3), Russ. J. Phys. Chem. A, 2002, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 71–76.Google Scholar
- 12.Zagranichek, A.L., The Modification of Polymeric, Composite and Solid Components of Electroluminescent Capacitors, Extended Abstract of Cand. Sci. Dissertation, St. Petersburg State Institute of Technology (Technical University), St. Petersburg, 2010.Google Scholar