Nanobioelectronics of DNA: From fundamental problems to applications
- 56 Downloads
This paper presents a review of theoretical and practical approaches to the development of the elemental basis of nanoelectronics, i.e., the use of DNA as molecular wires and DNA-based electronic logical cells and nanosensors. A general method for calculating the electron mobility in regular nucleotide sequences is described. The possibility of designing an electronic biochip based on an idea of measurement of the conductance of oligonucleotides is considered. The principle of operation of this nanobiochip is based on the fact that the conductance of a single-chain oligonucleotide changes upon hybridization with a complementary chain. The principle of creation of an XOR logic element (excluded or) based on a two-chain oligonucleotide with control electrodes is determined. It is shown that the appropriate properties are exhibited by DNA duplexes in which electron wave interference that is responsible for the duplex conductance should lead to a logical table corresponding to the XOR element.
KeywordsGlass Physic Hole Mobility Nucleotide Pair Otide Sequence Polynucleotide Chain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Dekker, C. and Ratner, M.A., Electric Properties of DNA, Phys. World, 2001, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 29–33.Google Scholar
- 6.Porath, D., Cuniberti, G., and Di Felice, R., Charge Transport in DNA-Based Devices, Top. Curr. Chem., 2004, vol. 237, pp. 183–227.Google Scholar
- 9.Lakhno, V.D. and Fialko, N.S., Hole Mobility in a Homogeneous Nucleotide Chain, Pis’ma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 2003, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 786–788 [JETP Lett. (Engl. transl.), 2003, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 336–338].Google Scholar
- 14.Lakhno, V.D. and Sultanov, V.B., Electronic Logical Gate XOR on the Basis of DNA, Mat. Biol. Bioinf., 2006, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 123–126.Google Scholar
- 15.Ratner, M. and Ratner, D., Nanotechnology: A Gentle Introduction to the Next Big Idea, Upper Saddle River (NJ, United States): Prentice Hall, 2002. Translated under the title Nanotekhnologiya: prostoe ob’yasnenie ocherednoi genial’noi idei, Moscow: Vil’yams, 2004.Google Scholar