Fractionation factor of 238U and 235U isotopes in the process of hydrothermal pitchblende formation: A numerical estimate
- 108 Downloads
Owing to the rapid increase in available data on the natural variations of the 238U/235U ratio, new isotopic geochemical mark of redox processes are beginning to emerge. In this connection, numerical estimates of the 238U and 235U fractionation factor (α(UIV−UVI)) accompanying the reduction UVI → UIV are needed. Such an estimate has been obtained for hydrothermal pitchblende formation based on results of high-precision (±0.06‰) measurements of the 238U/235U ratio in local microsamples of coarse spherulitic pitchblende from carbonate-pitchblende veins at the Oktyabr’sky deposit (Strel’tsovsky uranium ore field, eastern Transbaikal region). For this purpose, we used the formation temperature of hydrothermal pitchblende and a maximum estimate of the fractionation factor for 238U and 235U isotopes in the solution-solid phase system under normal (25°C) conditions (Murphy et al., 2014). The most probable isotopic fractionation factor accompanying pitchblende crystallization from hydrothermal solution at T = 320−250°C falls into the interval α(UIV−UVI) = 1.00020−1.00023.
KeywordsUranium Fractionation Factor Uranium Deposit 235U Ratio 235U Isotope
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cheng, H., Edwards, L.R., Hoff, J., Gallup, C.D., Richards, D.A., and Asmeron, Y., The half-lives of uranium-234 and thorium-230, Chem. Geol., vol. 169, pp. 228–233.Google Scholar
- Chernyshev, I.V. and Golubev, V.N., The Strel’tsovskoe deposit, Eastern Transbaikalia: Isotope dating of mineralization in Russia’s largest uranium deposit, Geochem. Int., 1996, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 834–946.Google Scholar
- Chernyshev, I.V., Golubev, V.N., Chugaev, A.V., and Baranova, A.N., 238U/235U-variations in high- and low-temperature uranium deposits, in Abstracts of Conference Goldschmidt-2013, p. 871.Google Scholar
- Chernyshev, I.V., Golubev, V.N., Chugaev, A.V., and Baranova, A.N., Variations of 238U/235U isotope ratio in minerals from hydrothermal uranium deposits, Geochem. Int., 2014, vol. 52, no. 12 (in press).Google Scholar
- Dymkov, Yu.M., Paragenezis mineralov uranonosnykh zhil (Paragenesis of Minerals from Uranium-Bearing Veins), Moscow: Nedra, 1985.Google Scholar
- Golubev, V.N., Chernyshev, I.V., Chugaev, A.V., Eremina, A.V., Baranova, A.N., and Krupskaya, V.V., U-Pb systems and U isotopic composition of the sandstone-hosted paleovalley Dybryn uranium deposit, Vitim uranium district, Russia, Geol. Ore Deposits, 2013, no. 6, pp. 399–410.Google Scholar
- Uranovye i molibden-uranovye mestorozhdeniya v oblastyakh razvitiya kontinental’nogo vnutrikorovogo magmatizma: geologiya, geodinamicheskie usloviya formirovaniya (Uranium and Molybdenum-Uranium Deposits in Regions of Continental Intracrustal Magmatism: Geology and Geodynamic Formation Conditions), Moscow: IFZ RAN-IGEM RAN, 2012.Google Scholar