Thermodynamics of arsenates, selenites, and sulfates in the oxidation zone of sulfide ores: V. Chalcomenite and its synthetic analog, properties, and formation conditions
- 117 Downloads
Understanding the mechanisms of selenium behavior under near-surface conditions is a topical problem of modern mineralogy and geochemistry that is very important in solving some environmental problems. The objective of this study is to develop techniques of synthesizing a chalcomenite analog and to study its speciation and properties. The synthesis was performed by boiling-dry aqueous Cu2(CO3)(OH)2 solutions and selenium acid H2SeO3. The obtained samples were identified by X-ray diffraction and IR spectroscopy. The Eh-pH diagrams were calculated using the Geochemist’s Workbench (GMB 7.0) software package. The database comprises the thermodynamic parameters of 46 elements, 47 main particles, 48 redox pairs, 551 particles in solution, 624 solid phases, and 10 gases. The Eh-pH diagrams have been calculated for the Cu-Se-CO2-H2O system for the average content of these elements in underground waters and their contents in acidic waters in the oxidation zones of sulfide deposits. The formation of chalcomenite and malachite under near-surface conditions is discussed.
KeywordsSelenium Selenite Oxidation Zone Zapiski Russian Mineral Modern Mineralogy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Campostrini, I., Gramaccioli, C.M., and Demartin, F., Orlandiite, Pb3Cl4(SeO3) · H2O, a New Mineral Species, and an Associated Lead—Copper Selenite Chloride from the Baccu Locci Mine, Sardinia, Italy, Can. Mineral., 1999, vol. 37, pp. 1493–1498.Google Scholar
- Charykova, M.V., Krivovichev, V.G., and Depmeier, W., Fizikokhimicheskoe modelirovanie povedeniya selena v pripoverkhnostnykh usloviyakh, (Physicochemical Modeling of Selenium Behavior under Near-Surface Conditions), St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg State University, 2007.Google Scholar
- Charykova, M.V., Krivovichev, V.G., and Depmeier, W., Thermodynamics of Arsenates, Selenites, and Sulfates in the Oxidation Zone of Sulfide Ores. I. Thermodynamic Constants under Ambient Conditions, Geol. Ore Deposits, 2010, vol. 52, spec. issue 8 (Zapiski Russian Mineral. Soc.), pp. 689–700.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Krivovichev, V.G. and Charykova, M.V., Termodinamika mineral’nykh ravnovesii v sistemakh s toksichnymi komponentami. 1. Selen (Thermodynamics of Mineral Equilibria in the Systems with Toxic Components. 1. Selenium), St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg State University (SOLO), 2006.Google Scholar
- Krivovichev, V.G., Charykova, M.V., and Depmeier, W., Physicochemical Conditions of Formation of Minerals of Selenium in the Near-Surface Environment. Vestnik SPbGU, 2007, ser. 7, no. 2, pp. 70–90.Google Scholar
- Krivovichev, V.G., Charykova, M.V., Yakovenko, O.S. et al., Thermodynamics of Arsenates, Selenites, and Sulfates in the Oxidation Zone of Sulfide Ores: IV. Eh-pH diagrams of the Me-Se-H2O systems (Me=Co, Ni, Fe, Cu, Zn, Pb) at 25°C, Geol. Ore Deposits, 2011, vol. 53, spec. issue 7 (Zapiski Russian Mineral. Soc.), pp. 514–527.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Olin, A., Nolang, B., Osadchii, E.G., et al., Chemical Ther-modynamics of Selenium, Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2005.Google Scholar
- Pasero, M. and Perchiazzi, N., Chalcomenite from Baccu Locci, Sardinia, Italy: Mineral Data and Structure Refinement, Neues Jahrb. Miner. Monatsh., 1989, Nu. 12, S. 551–556.Google Scholar
- Pirri, I.V., On the Occurrence of Selenium in Sulfides of the Ore Deposit of Baccu Locci, Neues. Jahrb. Miner. Monatsh., 2002, Nu. 5, S. 207–224.Google Scholar
- Robinson, P.D., Sen Gupta, P.K., Swihart, G.H., et al., Crystal Structure, H Positions, and the Se Lone Pair of Synthetic Chalcomenite, Cu(H2O)2[SeO3], Amer. Mineral., 1992, vol. 77, pp. 834–838.Google Scholar
- Treatise on Geochemistry, Vol. 9: Environmental Geochemistry, Lonar, B.S., Ed., Amsterdam: Elsevier Pergamon, 2004.Google Scholar