Enhancement of the Sorption Ability of Aluminum Oxide Desiccants by Alkaline Modification
- 14 Downloads
The influence of impregnation of aluminum oxide desiccants prepared by centrifugal thermal activation of hydrargillite with alkali (KОН and NaOH) and carbonate (Na2CO3 and K2СО3) solutions on the physicochemical properties of the products was studied. Impregnation with alkali solutions increases the dynamic capacity of the desiccants by a factor of 2 and more, whereas impregnation with carbonate solutions decreases the sorption characteristics of the desiccants at similar texture characteristics. Introduction of alkaline modifiers leads to a considerable decrease in the concentration of Lewis acid sites on the surface and to an increase in the concentration of strong base sites. Linear correlation was revealed between the concentration of strong base sites on the surface of the desiccants and their dynamic capacity in drying of humid air. The desiccants modified by impregnation exhibit not only high static and dynamic capacity, allowing improvement of the drying efficiency, but also considerably enhanced mechanical strength.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Shumyatskii, Yu.I., Promyshlennye adsorbtsionnye protsessy (Industrial Adsorption Processes), Moscow: KolosS, 2009.Google Scholar
- 8.Ducreux, O., Lavigne, C., and Nedez, C., Air and gas drying with activated aluminas. http://www.axens.net.Google Scholar
- 10.Shkrabina, R.A., Vorob’ev, Yu.K., Moroz, E.M., et al., Kinet. Katal., 1981, vol. 22, pp. 1080–1081.Google Scholar
- 11.Gregg, S.J. and Sing, K.S.W., Adsorption, Surface Area, and Porosity, London: Academic, 1982, 2nd ed.Google Scholar
- 12.Fenelonov, V.B., Vvedenie v fizicheskuyu khimiyu formirovaniya supramolekulyarnoi struktury adsorbentov i katalizatorov (Introduction to Physical Chemistry of the Supramolecular Structure Formation in Adsorbents and Catalysts), Novosibirsk: Sib. Otdel. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2004.Google Scholar
- 13.Paukshtis, E.A., Infrakrasnaya spektroskopiya v geterogennom kislotno-osnovnom katalize (Infrared Spectroscopy in Heterogeneous Acid–Base Catalysis), Novosibirsk: Nauka, 1992.Google Scholar