Kinetic Aspects of the Adsorption on Aluminum Oxide Drying Agents Doped with Alkali Metal Ions
- 16 Downloads
Fundamental dynamic (kinetic) aspects of the process in which water vapor interacts with the surface of drying agents that are synthesized on the basis of low-temperature modification of aluminum oxide produced from a pseudoboehmite-containing hydroxide and are modified (doped) with alkali atoms (K, Na). It is shown that the kinetics of adsorption on the samples under study, formed from the fine fraction (0.5–1.0 mm) of aluminum oxide adsorbents, can be described with the Glueckauf equation, which rather well describes the dynamics of water vapor absorption in the course of time. The equation parameters were determined: adsorption rate constants and the equilibrium adsorption capacities (a*). It was found that the alkaline modification of the surface of aluminum oxide adsorbents results in that a* increases (by ~40%) as compared with the unmodified drying agent. A correlation is observed between the equilibrium adsorption capacity of the samples under study and the acid-base properties of the surface.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Keltsev, N.V., Fundamentals of Adsorption Technology, Moscow, Chemistry, 1984.Google Scholar
- 4.Byk, S.Sh., Makogon, Yu.F., and Fomina, V.I., Gazovye gidraty (Gas Hydrates), Byk, S.Sh., Ed., Moscow: Khimiya, 1980.Google Scholar
- 5.Stiles, A.B., Catalyst Supports and Supported Catalysts: Theoretical and Applied Concepts (Russian Translation), Moscow: Khimiya, 1991, Chapter 2, p. 24.Google Scholar
- 11.Gregg, S.J. and Sing, K.S.W., Adsorption Surface Area and Porosity, London: Academic Press, 1967.Google Scholar
- 12.Fenelonov, V.B., Vvedenie v fizicheskuyu khimiyu formirovaniya supramolekulyarnoi struktury adsorbentov i katalizatorov (Introduction to Physical Chemistry of Supramolecular Structure Formation in Adsorbents and Catalysts), Novosibirsk: Izd. Sib. Otd. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2004.Google Scholar
- 13.Paukshtis, E.A., Infrakrasnaya spektroskopiya v geterogennom kislotno-osnovnom katalize (IR Spectroscopy in Heterogeneous Acid-Base Catalysis), Novosibirsk: Nauka, 1992.Google Scholar
- 14.Glueckauf, E. and Coates, J.I., J. Chem. Soc., 1947, pp. 1315–1321.Google Scholar