Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of novel substituted 4-[3-(1H-benzimidazol-2-yl)-4-hydroxybenzyl]-2-(1H-benzimidazol-2-yl)phenol derivatives
- 51 Downloads
A series of novel substituted bis-benzimidazole derivatives were synthesized by reaction of 5,5′-methylenebis(2-hydroxybenzaldehyde) with various substituted o-phenylenediamines in glacial acetic acid. The structure of the newly synthesized compounds was elucidated by 1H and 13C NMR, FT-IR, and MS spectra, and their antimicrobial activity against gram positive and gram negative bacteria and antifungal activity were evaluated. The thienyl-substituted derivative showed significant activity against Bacillus licheniformis. Bacillus subtilis, Staphylococcus aureus, Klebsiella pneumonia (bacteria), and Fusarium solani (fungi). The activities of the fluoro-substituted substituted derivative against some bacterial strains and of the thienyl-substituted derivative against fungi were found to be similar to those of standard drugs.
KeywordsBis-benzimidazoles acetic acid antibacterial activity antifungal activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Jabali, J.V., Keyur, P.T, and Rahul, S.K., Adv. Appl. Sci. Res., 2011, vol. 2, no. 3, p. 89.Google Scholar
- 9.Abdel Rahman, A.E., Mahmoud, A.M., El Naggar, G.M., and El Sherief, H.A., Pharmazie, 1983, vol. 38, p. 589.Google Scholar
- 12.Habib, N.S., Abdel Hamid, S., and El Hawash, M., Farmaco, 1989, vol. 44, p. 1225.Google Scholar
- 14.Penning, T.D., Zhu, G.-D., Gandhi, V.B., Gong, J., Thomas, S., Lubisch, W., Grandel, R., Wernet, W., Park, Ch.H., Fry, E.H., Liu, X.-S., Shi, Y., Klinghofer, V., Johnson, E.F., Donawho, Ch.K., Frost, D.J., Bontcheva-Diaz, V., Bouska, J.J., Olson, A.M., Marsh, K.C., Luo, Y., Rosenberg, S.H., and Giranda, V.L., Bioorg. Med. Chem., 2008, vol. 16, p. 6965. doi 10.1016/j.Bmc.2008. 05.044CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Shankar, B., Jalapathi, P., Sunitha, V., and Karunakar Rao, K., Pharma Chem., 2016, vol. 8, p. 192.Google Scholar