On the Tilts Caused by Equilibrium Fluctuations of Atmospheric Pressure: Effect of Topography
Abstract—The influence of the relief on baric tilts is studied. Main attention is focused on two-dimensional problem. It is assumed that variations of baric field are equilibrium (horizontal component of pressure gradient is absent) and the relief is finite. The latter means that the area between the topographic profile and the abscissa axis is finite. It is shown that this area is the only geometric parameter that determines vertical displacements and tilts in the far zone. The asymptotics for the variations in vertical displacements and tilts are written out. The generalization to the three-dimensional case is presented.
Keywords:baric tilts vertical displacements baric field three-dimensional case
I am grateful to M.S. Kuchay and I.A. Shirokov for their interest in the work and useful discussions of the results.
A am also grateful to Yu.O. Kuzmin for his valuable comments.
- 1.Darwin, G.H., XLVI. On variations in the vertical due to elasticity of the Earth’s surface, London Edinburgh Dublin Philos. Mag.J. Sci., Ser. 5, 1882, vol.14, no. 90, pp. 409–427.Google Scholar
- 2.Kolosov, G.V., Primenenie kompleksnoi peremennoi k teorii uprugosti (Application of a Complex Variable to Elasticity Theory), Moscow: ONTI, 1935.Google Scholar
- 3.Landau, L.D. and Lifshits, E.M., Teoreticheskaya fizika, t. VII. Teoriya uprugosti (Theoretical Physics, vol. VII: Elasticity Theory), Moscow: Fizmatlit, 2003.Google Scholar
- 4.Latynina, L.A. and Vasil’ev, I.M., Crustal deformations induced by atmospheric pressure, Izv.,Phys. Solid Earth, 2001, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 392–401.Google Scholar
- 5.Molodenskii, S.M., On local anomalies in amplitudes and phases of tidal tilts and strains, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR,Fiz. Zemli, 1983, no. 7, pp. 3–9.Google Scholar
- 6.Muskhelishvili, N.I., Nekotorye osnovnye zadachi matematicheskoi teorii uprugosti (Some Main Problems in the Mathematical Theory of Elasticity), Moscow: Nauka, 1966.Google Scholar
- 7.Parton, V.Z. and Perlin, P.I., Matematicheskii apparat teorii uprugosti (Mathematical Apparatus of Elasticity Theory), Moscow: Nauka, 1981.Google Scholar
- 8.Pertsev, B.P. and Kovaleva, O.V., Estimation of the effect of atmospheric pressure variations on tilts and linear strain of the earth’s surface, Izv.,Phys. Solid Earth, 2004, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 680– 682.Google Scholar
- 9.Shirokov, I.A. and Anokhina, K.M., Relation between spatial-temporal variations in the Earth’s surface tilts and variations in atmospheric pressure, Izv.,Phys. Solid Earth, 2003, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 78–81.Google Scholar