- 8 Downloads
A hundred years have passed since the outstanding scientist Professor V.A. Troitskaya was born. This paper is dedicated to her centenary. It discusses her scientific contributions to studying ultralow frequency oscillations of the Earth’s electromagnetic field. The discussion covers permanent and sporadic oscillations, “pearl necklace,” pulsations of increasing frequency, specific oscillations observed in the Arctic and Antarctic. The paper also describes the current state of the scientific problems that were Professor Troitskaya’s focus of interest. Particular attention is given to the key role of the interplanetary magnetic field in forming the spatial-temporal structure of oscillations.
Keywordsmagnetosphere radiation belt solar wind interplanetary magnetic field hydromagnetic diagnostics magnetotelluric sounding helioseismology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dungey, J., Cosmic Electrodynamics, Cambridge: Cambridge Univ., 1958.Google Scholar
- Guglielmi, A.V., Three unsolved problems in physics of Pc1 magnetospheric waves, Geofiz. Issled., 2015, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 63–72.Google Scholar
- Guglielmi, A.V. and Pokhotelov, O.A., Geoelectromagnetic Waves, Bristol: IOP Publ., 1996.Google Scholar
- Guglielmi, A.V. and Potapov, A.S., On permanent and sporadic oscillations of the magnetosphere. Cornell Univ. Libr. arXiv. arXiv:1408.2916 [physics.space-ph], 2014.Google Scholar
- Guglielmi, A.V. and Troitskaya, V.A., Geomagnitnye pul’satsii i diagnostika magnitosfery (Geomagnetic Pulsations and Diagnostics of the Magnetosphere), Moscow: Nauka, 1973.Google Scholar
- Guglielmi, A.V. and Troitskaya, V.A., MHD waves in near-Earth space environment, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Zemli, 1978, no. 10, pp. 95–104.Google Scholar
- Mansurov, S.M., New evidence of the connection between the fields of the space environment and the Earth’s fields, Geomagn. Aeron., 1969, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 768–770.Google Scholar
- Matveeva, E.T., Cyclic variations in the activity of Pc1 geomagnetic pulsations, Geomagn. Aeron., 1987, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 392–395.Google Scholar
- Matveeva, E.T. and Troitskaya, V.A., General regularities of the pearl-type oscillation regime, Geomagn. Aeron., 1965, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 1078–1084.Google Scholar
- Troitskaya, V.A., Classification of fast variations in the magnetic field and telluric currents, Geomagn. Aeron., 1964, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 615–616.Google Scholar
- Troitskaya, V.A. and Guglielmi, A.V., Hydromagnetic diagnostics of plasma in the magnetosphere, Ann. Geophys., 1970, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 893–902.Google Scholar