The velocity structure of the Carpathian zone from the ambient noise surface wave tomography
- 62 Downloads
The dispersion curves of the Rayleigh wave group velocities are constructed along 60 interstation seismic paths in Central Europe based on the cross-correlation function of seismic noise. Together with the previous data (Yanovskaya and Lyskova, 2013), this information was used for reconstructing the three-dimensional distribution of S-wave velocities in the upper mantle of the Carpathian region. In the present work, the previous results are refined by expanding the data set by the additional seismic paths that intersect the Carpathian region and by modifying the procedure for constructing the locally averaged dispersion curves so as to obtain a more compact resolution. The results of the study suggest the complex, multidirectional character of the plate motion in the region.
KeywordsDispersion Curve Solid Earth Seismic Noise Pannonian Basin Velocity Section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ditmar, P.G. and Yanovskaya, T.B., Generalization of the Backus-Hilbert method for estimating horizontal variations in the surface wave velocity, Fiz. Zemli, 1987, no. 6, pp. 30–40.Google Scholar
- Geothermal Atlas of Europe, Hurtig, E., et al., Eds., Gotha: Hermann Hack Verlagsgesellschaft: Geographisch-Kartographische Anstalt, 1992.Google Scholar
- Knapp, J.H., Knapp, C.C., Raileanu, V., Matenco, L., Mocanu, V., and Dinu, C., Crustal constraints on the origin of mantle seismicity in the Vrancea zone, Romania: the case of active continental lithospheric delamination, Tectonophysics, 2005, vol. 410, pp. 311–323.Google Scholar
- Lyskova, E.L. and Yanovskaya, T.B., Velocity structure of the upper mantle in the Vrancea zone according to the ambient noise surface wave tomography, Vopr. Geofiz., 2013, no. 46, pp. 3–11.Google Scholar
- Sandulescu, M., Cenozoic tectonic history of the Carpathians, in The Pannonian Basin: A Study in Basin Evolution, Royden, L.H. and Horvath, F., Eds., Am. Assoc. Petrol. Geophys. Memoir, 1988, vol. 45, pp. 17–25.Google Scholar
- Yanovskaya, T.B. and Manucharova, T.Yu., The allowance for the ray width in the surface wave group velocity tomography, Vopr. Geofiz., 2006, vol. 39, pp. 3–19.Google Scholar
- Yanovskaya, T.B., Koroleva, T.Yu., and Lyskova, E.L., The structure of the upper mantle in the vicinity of the Tornquist-Teisseyre zone from ambient noise tomography, Vopr. Geofiz., 2013, vol. 45, pp. 3–16.Google Scholar