O-Specific Polysaccharides (O-Antigens) of a New Species of Enteric Bacteria Escherichia albertii Closely Related to Escherichia coli
- 4 Downloads
The data on the structure of O-specific polysaccharides (O-antigens) of all nine known molecular types (potential O-serotypes) of a new type of enterobacteria Escherichia albertii, causative agents of intestinal infections in humans and birds, are presented. The advantages and limitations of structural analysis methods used to determine the structure of E. albertii polysaccharides are discussed. The annotation of genes in gene clusters of biosynthesis of O-antigens of E. albertii was carried out by comparison with the sequences in the available databases. Structural and genetic relationships between O-antigens of E. albertii and closely related species of E. coli are discussed. It was found that, in addition to the O-antigen, E. albertii O9 expresses a mannan of the same structure as the mannan of E. coli O8.
Keywords:O-specific polysaccharide structure bacterial mannan glycosidic bond selective cleavage O‑antigen biosynthesis O-antigen gene cluster glycosyltransferase Escherichia albertii Escherichia coli
The authors express their gratitude to the colleagues from China H. Zheng, Y. Xiong, and J. Wang (National Institute for Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Changping, Beijing, China), and to H. Wang and Q. Li (Zigong Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Zigong, Sichuan Province, China) for their contribution in the genetic study of the O-antigens of E. albertii.
COMPLIANCE WITH ETHICAL STANDARDS
Conflict of Interests
The authors state that there is no conflict of interest.
- 5.Ooka, T., Ogura, Y., Katsura, K., Seto, K., Kobayashi, H., Kawano, K., Tokuoka, E., Furukawa, M., Harada, S., Yoshino, S., Seto, J., Ikeda, T., Yamaguchi, K., Murase, K., Gotoh, Y., Imuta, N., Nishi, J., Gomes, T.A., Beutin, L., and Hayashi, T., Genome Biol. Evol., 2015, vol. 7, pp. 3170–3179.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 11.Naumenko, O.I., Senchenkova, S.N., Shashkov, A.S., Knirel, Y.A., Zheng, H., Xiong, Y., Wang, H., Li, Q., and Wang, J., in Abstr. 20th Eur. Carbohydr. Symp., June 30–July 5,2019, The Netherlands, Leiden.Google Scholar
- 14.Westphal, A. and Jann, K., MethodsCarbohydr. Chem., 1965, vol. 5, pp. 83–91.Google Scholar
- 20.Valvano, M.A., Furlong, S.E., and Patel, K.B., in Bacterial Lipopolysaccharides: Structure, Chemical Synthesis, Biogenesis and Interaction with Host Cells, Knirel, Y.A. and Valvano, M.A., Eds., Wien: Springer, 2011, pp. 275–310.Google Scholar
- 22.Hao, Y. and Lam, J.S., in Bacterial Lipopolysaccharides: Structure, Chemical Synthesis, Biogenesis and Interaction with Host Cells, Knirel, Y.A. and Valvano, M.A., Eds., Wien: Springer, 2011, pp. 195–235.Google Scholar
- 25.King, J.D., Kocincova, D., Westman, E.L., and Lam, J.S., Innate Immun., 2009, vol. 15, 261e312.Google Scholar