Variation in the Composition of Secondary Metabolites in Flavocetraria Lichens from Western Siberia
- 8 Downloads
The composition and contents of secondary metabolites in Flavocetraria lichens from Eastern Siberia were analyzed using herbarium specimens. Based on the composition of identified metabolites, three F. cucullata chemotypes and two F. nivalis chemotypes were distinguished. Distinct geographic differentiation between the F. cucullata chemotypes was revealed, probably reflecting their adaptation to environmental conditions. The content of usnic acid in F. cucullata thalli was found to correlate with the latitude of growing region. This may be regarded as evidence for a protective role of this metabolite in lichens growing at high latitudes and exposed to excess solar irradiation during the polar day.
Keywordslichens genus Flavocetraria secondary metabolites chemotypes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Stocker-Wörgötter, E., Biochemical diversity and ecology of lichen-forming fungi: Lichen substances, chemosyndromic variation and origin of polyketide-type metabolites (biosynthetic pathways), Recent Adv. Lichenol., 2016, vol. 2, pp. 161–179.Google Scholar
- 6.Orange, A., Chemical variation in Lepraria eburnea, The Lichenologist, 1997, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 9–13.Google Scholar
- 7.Farkas, E., Kursinszki, L., Szőke, É., and Molnár, K., New chemotypes of the lichens Xanthoparmelia pulvinaris and X. subdiffluens (Parmeliaceae, Ascomycota), Herzogia, 2015, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 679–689.Google Scholar
- 8.Ravinskaya, A.P. and Vainshtein, E.A., Effect of certain ecological factors on the contents of lichen substances, Ekologiya, 1975, no. 3, pp. 82–85.Google Scholar
- 9.Prokopiev, I.A., Shein, A.A., Filippova, G.V, et al., Annual dynamics of usnic acid contents in thalli of Cladonia and Flavocetraria lichens from Central Yakutia, Khim. Rastit. Syr’ya, 2015, no. 4, pp. 45–49.Google Scholar
- 11.Andreev, V.N., Tundrovedenie (Tundra Science), Novosibirsk: Nauka, 2017.Google Scholar
- 13.Stenroos, S., Ahti, T., Lohtander, K., and Myllys, L., Suomen Jäkäläopas, Norrlinia, 2011, vol. 21, pp. 1–534.Google Scholar
- 17.Prokopiev, I.A., Shavarda, A.L., Shein, A.A., and Filippova, G.V., Contents of usnic acid enantiomers in thalli of Flavocetraria cucullata (Parmeliaceae) from some regions of Yakutia, Rastit. Resur., 2016, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 157–165.Google Scholar
- 19.BeGora, M.D. and Fahselt, D., Usnic acid and atranorin concentrations in lichens in relation to bands of UV irradiance, The Bryologist, 2001, vol. 1, pp. 34–140.Google Scholar