Seasonal and Interannual Dynamics of Active Part of Bacterioplankton in Overgrowing Littoral Zone of Rybinsk Reservoir: Influence of Gull Colonies
- 9 Downloads
This article analyzes the seasonal and interannual dynamics of active and viable bacteria in coastal waters of a large plain reservoir (Rybinsk Reservoir, Volga River) due to the activity of birds of the families Laridae and Sternidae. An increase in the number and proportion of dividing cells and cells with undisturbed nucleoids in bacterioplankton at the beginning of the nesting period of the birds (late May to early June) and their decrease by mid- July have been recorded. A decrease in the proportion of active bacteria near the gull colony has been recorded.
Keywordsbacterioplankton active and viable fractions littoral zone of reservoir influence of hydrophilic birds
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Del Giorgio, P.A. and Scaraborough, G., Increase in the proportion of metabolically active bacteria along gradients of enrichment in freshwater and marine plankton: Implications for estimates of bacterial growth and production rates, J. Plankton Res., 1995, vol. 17, pp. 1905–1924.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Zaletaev, B.C., The global network of water–land ecotones: Functions in the biosphere and role in global change, in Ekotony v biosfere (Ecotones in the Biosphere), Moscow: RASKhN, 1997, pp. 77–90.Google Scholar
- 9.Rumyantseva, E.V., Kosolapov, D.B., Kosolapova, N.G., and Kulakov, D.V., Dynamics of planktic microorganisms and viruses in the littoral zone of the Rybinsk Reservoir: Influence of water-bird colonies, Inland Water Biol., 2013, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 276–284. doi 10.7868/ S0320965213040141CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Rumyantseva, E.V., Sakharova, E.G., Kosolapov, D.B., et al., Bacterio- and phytoplankton in the protected littoral zone of a highly trophic flatland reservoir: Influence of colonial birds, Voda: Khim. Ekol., 2014, no. 1 (67), pp. 64–70.Google Scholar
- 11.Krylov, A.V., Kulakov, D.V., Chalova, I.V., and Papchenkov, V.G., Zooplankton presnykh vodoemov v usloviyakh vliyaniya gidrofil’nykh ptits (Zooplankton of Fresh Water Bodies under the Influence of Hydrophilic Birds), Izhevsk: Permyakov S.A., 2012.Google Scholar
- 17.Kopylov, A.I. and Kosolapov, D.B., Total bacterial cell number and the number of nucleoid-containing cells in various biotopes of Rybinsk Reservoir, Microbiology (Moscow), 1998, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 715–720.Google Scholar