Seasonal habitat use of Chinese goral (Naemorhedus griseus) in a subtropical forest
- 128 Downloads
Detailed understanding of habitat associations of endangered species is essential for the development of sound conservation and habitat management plans. We assessed seasonal habitat requirement of a poorly known forest ungulate, Chinese goral Naemorhedus griseus, in Tangjiahe National Reserve, western China from December 2005 to November 2006. Transect surveys were conducted across the elevational range of the mountains to locate the droppings and traces left by the gorals as the indicators of their habitat use. The results showed that the species appeared at the sites with lower slope position and closer to road in winter than those in the two other seasons. At the same time, in summer, Chinese gorals were found at the stands with steep slope degree compared to in spring.
KeywordsNaemorhedus griseus habitat season
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bowye, R.T., Habitat Selection by Southern Mule Deer, Calif. Fish Game, 1986, vol. 72, pp. 153–169.Google Scholar
- Hu, J.C., Particular in Sichuan Mammals, Chengdu: Sichuan Publishing House of Science and Technology, 1994.Google Scholar
- Kaji, K., Miyaki, M., Saitoh, T., Ono, S., and Kaneko, M., Spatial Distribution of an Expanding Sika Deer Population on Hokkaido Island, Japan, Wildl. Sci. Bull., 2000, vol. 28, pp. 699–707.Google Scholar
- Mace, R.D. and Waller, J.S., Grizzly Bear Distribution and Human Conflicts in Jewel Basin Hiking Area, Swan Mountains, Montana, Wildl. Soc. Bull., 1996, vol. 24, pp. 461–467.Google Scholar
- Pereira, J.M. and Itami, R.M., GIS-Based Habitat Modeling Using Logistic Multiple Regression: A Study of the Mt. Graham Red Squirrel, Photogramm. Eng. Remote Sens., 1991, vol. 57, pp. 1475–1486.Google Scholar
- Sanderson, G.C., The Study of Mammal Movements: A Review, J. Wildl. Manag., 1996, vol. 30, pp. 215–235.Google Scholar
- Wallmo, O.C. and Schoen, J.W., Response of Deer to Secondary Forest Succession in Southeast Alaska, For. Sci., 1980, vol. 26, pp. 448–462.Google Scholar
- Wang, S., China Red Data Book of Endangered Animals (Mammalia), 1998.Google Scholar
- Wang, B.J., Zhang, J., and Hu, J.C., Habitat Selection by Chinese Goral (Naemorhedus griseus) in Spring in Fengtongzhai Nature Reserve, Sichuan J. Zool., 2008, vol. 27, pp. 269–272.Google Scholar
- Wilson, D.E. and Reeder, D.A., Mammal Species of the World, 2005.Google Scholar
- Wu, H., Zhang, C.J., and Hu, J.C., Habitat Selection by Long Tailed Goral in Spring and Winter, J. East China Norm. Univ. (Nat. Sci.), 2002, vol. 2, pp. 92–97.Google Scholar