Reduction of Pu(IV) and Np(VI) with carbohydrazide in nitric acid solution
- 47 Downloads
The reduction of Pu(IV) and Np(VI) with carbohydrazide (NH2NH)2CO in 1–6 M HNO3 solutions was studied. The Pu(IV) reduction is described by a first-order rate equation with respect to Pu(IV). At [HNO3] ≥ 3 M, the reaction becomes reversible. The rate constants of the forward and reverse reactions were determined, and their activation energies were estimated. Neptunium(VI) is reduced to Np(V) at a high rate, whereas the subsequent reduction of Np(V) to Np(IV) is considerably slower and is catalyzed by Fe and Tc ions. The possibility of using carbohydrazide for stabilizing desired combinations of Pu and Np valence states was examined.
Keywordscarbohydrazide nitric acid solutions plutonium neptunium ions reduction kinetics catalysis technetium iron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Marchenko, V.I., Dvoeglazov, K.N., and Volk, V.I., Radiokhimiya, 2009, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 289–302.Google Scholar
- 3.Kalinichenko, I.I., Ivanov, M.G., and Titov, N.M., Zh. Neorg. Khim., 1984, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 926–928.Google Scholar
- 4.Ivanov, N.M. and Kalinichenko, I.I., Zh. Neorg. Khim., 1981, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 411–413.Google Scholar
- 5.Ivanov, N.M. and Kalinichenko, I.I., Zh. Neorg. Khim., 1984, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1237–1240.Google Scholar
- 6.Ivanov, N.M. and Kalinichenko, I.I., Zh. Neorg. Khim., 1984, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 2159–2162.Google Scholar
- 8.Panchenkov, G.M. and Lebedev, V.P., Khimicheskaya kinetika i kataliz (Chemical Kinetics and Catalysis), Moscow: Khimiya, 1974.Google Scholar
- 9.Koltunov, V.S., Tikhonov, M.F., and Frolov, K.M., Radiokhimiya, 1981, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 559–566.Google Scholar
- 10.Koltunov, V.S., J. Nucl. Sci. Technol., 2002, suppl. 3, pp. 347–350.Google Scholar
- 11.Koltunov, V.S., Taylor, R.J., Mezhov, E.A., et al., in Proc. Int. Conf. ATALANTE 2000, Avignon (France), 2000, paper 01-06.Google Scholar