The results of implementation of the ISTC Project “Development of a Model of the Behavior of Nuclear Fuel in the Active Stage of the Chernobyl Accident” are summarized. The project work was jointly undertaken by the Russian Research Centre Kurchatov Institute (RNTs KI) and Nuclear Safety Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences (IBRAE RAN). The aim of the project was to systematize a huge amount of data on lava-like fuel-containing materials (LFCM), collected over the 20 years of research work at the Shelter, into database and to develop a model of LFCM formation and spread during early post-accident days. The model will be helpful in producing recommendations on accident prevention and promote development of the best technologies for lava removal, thereby reducing the financial expenses and dose burden. Also, with the model developed, the results of the virtually unique “experiment” with the nuclear fuel of the Unit 4 reactor, organized on a huge scale, can be used for finding solutions to the general nuclear safety problems.
PACS numbers28.41.Te 89.60.Gg
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Analysis of the Current and Forecasts of the Future Safety Status of the Shelter, Report of the Shelter Interdisciplinary Scientific and Technical Center, Borovoi, A.A., Executor-in-Chief, Chernobyl, 2001, archive no. 3836.Google Scholar
- 2.Anderson, E.B., Bogatov, S.A., Borovoi, A.A., et al., Lava-Like Fuel-Containing Materials of the Shelter, Preprint of the Shelter Interdisciplinary Scientific and Technical Center, Chernobyl, 1993, no. 93–17.Google Scholar
- 3.Pazukhin, E.M., Radiokhimiya, 1994, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 97–142.Google Scholar
- 4.Wells of the Shelter. A Summary of Data (album), Report of the Nuclear and Radiation Safety Division, Shelter Interdisciplinary Scientific and Technical Center, Chernobyl, June 9, 1998, no. 09/05-66.Google Scholar
- 5.Borovoi, A.A., Lagunenko, A.S., and Pazukhin, E.M., At. Energ., 1998, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 356–362.Google Scholar
- 6.Borovoi, A.A., Lagunenko, A.S., and Pazukhin, E.M., Radiokhimiya, 1999, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 187–192.Google Scholar
- 7.Borovoi, A.A., Lagunenko, A.S., and Pazukhin, E.M., Probl. Chernobylya, 2000, no. 6, pp. 13–16.Google Scholar
- 8.Borovoi, A. and Gavrilov, S., Development of the Database “Nuclear Fuel and Radioactive Waste in the Shelter of Chernobyl NPP,” Preprint of the Nuclear Safety Inst., Russian Acad. Sci., Moscow, 2001, no. 2001-01.Google Scholar
- 9.Bogatov, S., Borovoi, A., Gavrilov, S., et al., Half an Hour after the Beginning of the Accident, Moscow: OKPRINT, 2006.Google Scholar
- 10.Bogatov, S.A., Borovoi, A.A., Gavrilov, S.L., et al., The Database on the Pre- and Post-Accidental Location and Condition of the Nuclear Fuel of Unit 4 of the Chernobyl NPP, Preprint of the Russian Research Centre Kurchatov Inst., February 1, 2007, no. 130-11/2.Google Scholar
- 11.Bechta, S., Phase Diagrams for Multicomponent Systems Containing Corium and Products of Its Interaction with NPP Materials (CORPHAD.2), 11th CEG-SAM Meet., Dresden, March 6–9, 2007.Google Scholar
- 12.Borovoi, A.A., Materials on Nuclear Safety of the Shelter, Preprint of the Russian Research Centre Kurchatov Inst., April 6, 2007, no. 130-11/3.Google Scholar
- 13.Borovoi, A.A., Pazukhin, E.M., and Strizhov, V.F., The Efficiency of Measures on Elimination of the Consequences of the Chernobyl Accident (Active Stage of the Accident), Preprint of the Russian Research Centre Kurchatov Institute, Moscow, 2007, no. 6471/11.Google Scholar