Performance comparison of proposed 3-d coherent spatial-phase-time coding/decoding with super structured fiber Bragg grating-based optical CDMA systems
- 81 Downloads
In this paper, performance comparison in terms of bit error rate (BER) of proposed WDM compatible optical CDMA system incorporating 3-D spectral-phase-time encoding/decoding to a 7 chip-super-structured fiber Bragg grating (SSFBG)-based optical code division multiple access (OCDMA) system is investigated. Coding and decoding using binary [0, π] phase chips is demonstrated for six users at 5 Gb/s, and a single coded signal is separated with acceptable bit-error rate ≤10−9. In our proposed optical CDMA system encoding and decoding is done by converting hadamard codes (used for conventional CDMA system) to phase codes. It is then compared with two optical pulse retiming and reshaping systems incorporating super structured fiber Bragg gratings (SSFBGs) as pulse shaping elements. Simulation results show that with all input bands having same sample rate, size data rates our proposed codes with even larger number of channels perform better in terms of eye opening & BER.
Keywordscode-division multiple-access (CDMA) code division multiplexing optical code-division multiple-access (OCDMA) optical communications wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.A. M. Weiner and J. A. Salehi, “Optical code-division multiple access,” in Photonics in Switching, Ed. by J. E. Midwinter (Academic, San Diego, CA, 1993), vol. 2, pp. 73–118.Google Scholar
- 12.J. E. McGeehan, S. M. Reza, M. Nezam, P. Saghari, A. E. Willner, R. Omrani, and V. Kumar, “3D time-wavelength-polarization OCDMA coding for increasing the number of users in OCDMA LANs,” in Proc. 2004 Opt. Fiber Communication Conf. (OFC’04), Los Angeles, CA, 2004, Paper FE5.Google Scholar
- 16.K. J. Horadam Hadamard Matrices and Their Applications (Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, 1986).Google Scholar
- 18.Peh Chiong The, P. Petropoulos, M. Ibsen, and D. J. Richardson, “A comparative study of the performance of seven and 63-chip optical code-division multiple-aAccess encoders and decoders based on super structured fiber Bragg grating,” Journal of Lightwave Technology 19(9), (Sept. 2001).Google Scholar
- 19.K. J. Horadam Hadamard Matrices and Their Applications (Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, 1986).Google Scholar
- 20.VPI transmission maker optical systems User’s Manual, “Optical CDMA with 7-chip SSFG Encoder design,” VPI transmission maker systems demonstration, Appendix A, pp. 377–378 (2012).Google Scholar