Potentialities of radio-occultation monitoring of the lower ionosphere on satellite-to-satellite paths
- First Online:
- 22 Downloads
The data on the radio-occultation probing of the daytime ionosphere at altitudes of 70–130 km that are measured on satellite-to-satellite paths in subequatorial regions at latitudes of ±30° are analyzed. The dependence of regular variations in the integral electron concentration on the height of the ray line is discussed. It is shown that, at altitudes of 85–110 km, the height profile of electron concentration can be determined from the occultation data. The specific features of the variations in the radio-wave amplitude and in the integral electron concentration that are observed during the probing of sporadic ionospheric formations Es are analyzed. Data on the frequency of occurrence of the Es formations, their height, and the thickness of the layered structures are presented. The interfering effect of the ionospheric F region during determination of the parameters of the lower ionosphere is analyzed.
PACS numbers94.20.Tt 94.20.ws
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.O. I. Yakovlev, Space Radiophysics (RFFI, Moscow, 1998) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 2.A. I. Kucheryavenkov, O. I. Yakovlev, I. L. Kucheryavenkova, and L. N. Samoznaev, Radiotekh. Elektron. (Moscow) 43, 945 (1998) [J. Commun. Technol. Electron. 43, 880 (1998)].Google Scholar
- 5.K. Hocke, K. Igarashi, M. Nakamura, et al., J. Atmos. Sol.-Terr. Phys. 63, 1973 (2001).Google Scholar
- 10.J. Wickert, O. I. Yakovlev, A. G. Pavel’ev, et al., Radiotekh. Elektron. (Moscow) 49, 1184 (2004) [J. Commun. Technol. Electron. 49, 1109 (2004)].Google Scholar
- 11.D. L. Wu, C. O. Ao, G. A. Hajj, et al., J. Geophys. Res. 110, A01306 (2005).Google Scholar
- 12.O. I. Yakovlev, J. Wickert, S. S. Matyugov, and V. A. Anufriev, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Radiofiz. 49(3), 185 (2006).Google Scholar
- 14.B. I. Gershman, Yu. A. Ignat’ev, and G. Kh. Kamenetskaya, Mechanisms of Formation of the Ionospheric Sporadic Es Layer (Nauka, Moscow, 1976) [in Russian].Google Scholar