Specific features of the freedericksz transition in nematic-cholesteric droplets: The effect of the liquid crystal-isotropic phase boundary
- 58 Downloads
Quasi-static orientation transitions in nematic-cholesteric liquid crystal (LC) droplets occurring in an isotropic environment in a constant electric field have been studied. It is shown that transformation of the initial homeotropic orientation of the director field in these LC droplets has a non-threshold character, which is related to the presence of a small cholesteric additive. As the field increases, this dopant leads to continuous growth in the effective size of a deformation field from the LC-isotropic phase interface.
KeywordsApplied Voltage Technical Physic Letter Cholesteric Liquid Crystal Liquid Crystal Cell MBBA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. M. Zharkova and A. S. Sonin, in Liquid Crystal Composites (Nauka, Moscow, 1994) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 2.A. V. Koval’chuk, M. V. Kurik, and O. D. Lavrentovich, Zarubezh. Radioelektron., No. 5, 44 (1989).Google Scholar
- 4.F. Xu, H.-S. Kitzerow, and J. W. Doane, Phys. Rev. Lett. 64, 6535 (1992).Google Scholar
- 6.V. A. Belyakov, Optics of Cholesteric Liquid Crystals (Nauka, Moscow, 1982) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.A. S. Sonin, Introduction to Physics of Liquid Crystals (Nauka, Moscow, 1983) [in Russian].Google Scholar