Orientation transition induced by a chiral dopant in nematic-cholesteric droplets
- 154 Downloads
Quasi-static orientation transitions in nematic-cholesteric liquid crystal (LC) droplets occurring in an isotropic environment in a constant electric field have been studied as dependent on the concentration of a chiral (cholesteric) dopant. In the case where the droplet radius is smaller than (or on the order of) the helix pitch induced by the chiral dopant (R ≤ P), there exists a critical concentration of the dopant above which the interface with the isotropic phase initiates an increase in the deformation field with a correlation length dependent on the decreasing P value.
KeywordsTechnical Physic Letter Orientation Transition Cholesteric Liquid Crystal Droplet Radius Liquid Crystal Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. M. Zharkov and A. S. Sonin, Liquid-Crystalline Composites (Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1994) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 2.A. V. Koval’chuk, M. V. Kurik, and O. D. Lavrentovich, Zarubezh. Radioelektron., No. 5, 44 (1989).Google Scholar
- 3.G. M. Zharkova and A. S. Sonin, Vysokomol. Soedin., Ser. B 35(10), 17 (1993).Google Scholar
- 6.V. S. Sutormin, M. N. Krakhalev, and O. O. Prishchepa, Zh. Sib. Fed. Univ., Matem. Fiz. 2, 352 (2009).Google Scholar
- 10.V. A. Belyakov, Optics of Cholesteric Liquid Crystals (Nauka, Moscow, 1982) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 12.A. S. Sonin, Introduction to Physics of Liquid Crystals (Nauka, Moscow, 1983) [in Russian].Google Scholar