On the effect of heating and cooling rates on the melting and crystallization of metal nanoclusters
- 29 Downloads
The effect of heating and cooling rates on melting (T m ) and crystallization (T c ) temperatures of metal nanoclusters is investigated in terms of the isothermal molecular dynamics. We report on the results obtained for nickel nanoclusters, although analogous results were also obtained for gold and aluminum nanoclusters. It is found that T m increases, while T c decreases with increasing heating and cooling rates, both T m and T c tending to the same value for heating and cooling rates tending to zero. The results indicate that the hysteresis of melting and crystallization of nanoparticles must be completely due to nonequilibrium conditions of heating and cooling. The transition of Ni nanoclusters to the amorphous state begins at very high cooling rates exceeding 10 TK/s.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. S. Zhdanov, Izv. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Fiz. 41, 1004 (1977).Google Scholar
- 2.V. P. Skripov and V. P. Koverda, Spontaneous Crystallization of Supercooled Liquids (Nauka, Moscow, 1984), pp. 98–104.Google Scholar
- 6.V. M. Samsonov, S. S. Kharechkin, S. L. Gafner, L. V. Redel’, Yu. Ya. Gafner, and Zh. V. Golovenko, Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Fiz. 74, 707 (2010).Google Scholar
- 7.S. L. Gafner, L. V. Redel’, and Yu. Ya. Gafner, Fiz. Met. Metalloved. 104, 1 (2007).Google Scholar
- 8.V. M. Samsonov, A. G. Bembel’, O. V. Shakulo, and S. A. Vasil’ev, Kristallografiya 59, 641 (2014).Google Scholar
- 9.V. M. Samsonov and A. G. Bembel’, Yad. Fiz. Inzhiniring 4, 578 (2013).Google Scholar
- 11.Yu. I. Petrov, Physics of Small Particles (Nauka, Moscow, 1982).Google Scholar
- 12.Qi Yue, T. Cagin, W. L. Johnson, and W. A. Goddard, J. Chem. Phys. 114, 385 (2001).Google Scholar
- 13.S. I. Popel’, M. A. Spiridonov, and L. A. Zhukova, Atomic Ordering in Melted and Amorphous Metals (Ural. Gos. Tekhn. Univ., Yekaterinburg, 1997), pp. 205–206.Google Scholar
- 14.S. A. Gridnev, et al., Nonlinear Phenomena in Nanoand Microheterogeneous Systems (BINOM, Moscow, 2012), pp. 41–43.Google Scholar