Influence of the segregation effect on the magnetic and optical properties of a compensated ferronematic liquid crystal
- 77 Downloads
The Freedericksz transition in splay and bend geometry in a ferronematic (a suspension of single-domain magnetic particles in a nematic liquid crystal) is considered in the framework of the continuum theory. In zero magnetic field, the ferronematic was assumed to be compensated (i.e., having equal fractions of an impurity with magnetic moments directed parallel and antiparallel to the local director). Spatial distortions of the director and the concentration redistribution of the magnetic impurity in the ferronematic layer are studied as functions of the applied magnetic field and the segregation parameter. It is shown that the magnetic-field induced Freedericksz transition from the homogeneous to the inhomogeneous state has a threshold nature. The transition field as a function of the material parameters of the ferronematic is determined analytically. Magnetization of the ferronematic and its optical properties for a strong and weak segregation as functions of the magnetic field are studied.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Strength Magnetic Particle Applied Magnetic Field Nematic Liquid Crystal Magnetic Impurity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.V. Yu. Reshetnyak, S. M. Shelestiuk, and T. J. Sluckin, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 454, 201 (2006).Google Scholar
- 13.A. N. Zakhlevnykh and D. V. Makarov, Vestn. Permsk. Univ., Ser.: Fiz., No. 1(27), 62 (2009).Google Scholar
- 14.A. N. Zakhlevnykh and D. V. Makarov, Vestn. Permsk. Univ., Ser.: Fiz., No. 1(16), 55 (2011).Google Scholar
- 17.A. N. Zakhlevnykh and D. V. Makarov, Zhidk. Krist. Prakt. Isp., No. 2(32), 58 (2010).Google Scholar
- 18.A. N. Zakhlevnykh and O. R. Semenova, Vestn. Permsk. Univ., Ser.: Fiz., No. 1(27), 52 (2009).Google Scholar
- 19.A. N. Zakhlevnykh and O. R. Semenova, Zhidk. Krist. Prakt. Isp., No. 2(32), 67 (2010).Google Scholar
- 21.A. N. Zakhlevnykh and D. V. Makarov, Vestn. Permsk. Univ., Ser.: Fiz., No. 1(38), 26 (2010).Google Scholar
- 22.O. R. Semenova and A. N. Zakhlevnykh, Vestn. Permsk. Univ., Ser.: Fiz., No. 1(38), 39 (2010).Google Scholar