Properties and structure of oxidized coatings deposited onto Al-Cu and Al-Mg alloys
The results of new studies of creating protective oxide coatings based on Al2O3 (Si, Mn) and deposited onto aluminum alloys using electrolyte-plasma oxidation are presented. An analysis is performed by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) with energy dispersive spectroscopy (EDS), X-ray diffraction, Rutherford backscattering of 4He+ and protons, nanoindentation, scratching, friction coefficient measurements, and acoustic emission measurements. The results demonstrate that the deposited coatings have a high quality, hardness, and wear resistance and a low thermal diffusivity. Apart from Al2O3, the coatings are found to have Si, Mn, C, and Ca. The stoichiometry of the coatings is determined. The density and hardness of the coatings are close to those of α-Al2O3 in the coating on an Al-Cu (D-16) substrate, and these values of the coating on an Al-Mg (S006) are lower by a factor of 1.5.
KeywordsEnergy Dispersive Spectroscopy S006 Sample Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy Spectrum Plasma Bubble Microarc Oxidation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. A. Kolachev, V. I. Elagin, and V. A. Livanov, Metal Science and Heat Treatment of Nonferrous Metals and Alloys (MISIS, Moscow, 2001).Google Scholar
- 2.Properties of Elements: A. Handbook, Ed. by M. E. Drits (Metallurgiya, Moscow, 1997).Google Scholar
- 3.L. P. Luchikov, Deformable Aluminium Alloys for High-Temperature Operation (Metallurgiya, Moscow, 1965).Google Scholar
- 4.Yu. M. Lakhtin, Metal Science and Heat Treatment of Metals (Metallurgiya, Moscow, 1977).Google Scholar
- 5.V. I. Chernenko, L. A. Snezhko, and I. I. Papanova, Production of Coatings by Anode-Spark Electrolysis (Khimiya, Leningrad, 1991).Google Scholar
- 6.V. I. Chernenko, L. A. Snezhko, I. I. Papanova, and K. I. Litovchenko, Theory and Technology of High-Voltage Anode Processes (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1995).Google Scholar
- 10.A. D. Pogrebnyak, B. P. Gritsenko, M. K. Kylyshkanov, et al., Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 76(11), 117 (2006).Google Scholar
- 11.A. D. Pogrebnyak, Yu. N. Tyurin, A. G. Boiko, et al., Usp. Fiz. Met. 6, 273 (2005).Google Scholar
- 14.V. I. Belevantsev, Prot. Met. 34, 416 (1998).Google Scholar
- 15.D. V. Ryabkov, U.S. Patent No. 6585875 (July 2003).Google Scholar
- 16.P. Gupta and G. Tenhundfeld, Plating Surf. Finish. 92, 48 (2005).Google Scholar
- 21.K. K. Kadyrzhanov, F. F. Komarov, and A. D. Pogrebnyak, Ion-Beam and Ion-Plasma Modification of Materials (Mosk. Gos. Univ., Moscow, 2005).Google Scholar