An experimental and theoretical study of Ni impurity centers in Ba0.8Sr0.2TiO3
- 46 Downloads
The local environment and the charge state of a nickel impurity in cubic Ba0.8Sr0.2TiO3 are studied by XAFS spectroscopy. According to the XANES data, the mean Ni charge state is ~2.5+. An analysis of the EXAFS spectra and their comparison with the results of first-principle calculations of the defect geometry suggest that Ni2+ ions are in a high-spin state at the B sites of the perovskite structure and the difference of charges of Ni2+ and Ti4+ is mainly compensated by distant oxygen vacancies. In addition, a considerable amount of nickel in the sample is in a second phase BaNiO3 − δ. The measurements of the lattice parameter show a decrease in the unit cell volume upon doping, which can indicate the existence of a small amount of Ni4+ ions at the B site.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. I. Sturman and V. M. Fridkin, Photogalvanic Effect in Media without Symmetry Center and Related Phenomena (Nauka, Moscow, 1992) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 10.I. A. Sluchinskaya, A. I. Lebedev, and A. Erko, in Proceedings of the 19th All-Russia Conference on Ferroelectric Physics, Moscow, June, 2011, p. 116.Google Scholar
- 11.I. A. Sluchinskaya, A. I. Lebedev, V. F. Kozlovskii, and A. Erko, in Proceedings of the 8th National conference on X-Ray, Synchrotron Radiations, Neutrons and Electrons for Study of Nanosystems and Materials. Nano-, Bio-, Info-, Cognitive Technologies, Moscow, 2011, p. 347.Google Scholar
- 22.Y. Kumar, Md A. Mohiddon, A. Srivastava, and K. L. Yadav, Ind. J. Eng. Mater. Sci. 16, 390 (2009).Google Scholar
- 23.Th. W. Kool, S. Lenjer, and O. F. Schirmer, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 19, 496214 (2007).Google Scholar
- 31.IFEFFIT Project. http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/.Google Scholar
- 32.FEFF Project. http://leonardo.phys.washington.edu/feff/.Google Scholar