Epitaxial gallium oxide on a SiC/Si substrate
Well-textured gallium oxide β-Ga2O3 layers with a thickness of ~1 μm and a close to epitaxial layer structure were grown by the method of chloride vapor phase epitaxy on Si(111) wafers with a nano-SiC buffer layer. In order to improve the growth, a high-quality silicon carbide buffer layer ~100 nm thick was preliminarily synthesized by the substitution of atoms on the silicon surface. The β-Ga2O3 films were thoroughly investigated using reflection high-energy electron diffraction, ellipsometry, X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, and micro-Raman spectroscopy. The investigations revealed that the films are textured with a close to epitaxial structure and consist of a pure β-phase Ga2O3 with the (\(\overline 2 01\)) orientation. The dependence of the dielectric constant of epitaxial β-Ga2O3 on the photon energy ranging from 0.7 to 6.5 eV in the isotropic approximation was measured.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.K. Sasaki, M. Higashiwaki, A. Kuramata, T. Masui, and S. Yamakoshi, J. Cryst. Growth 378, 591 (2013).Google Scholar
- 11.S. I. Stepanov, V. I. Nikolaev, V. E. Bougrov, and A. E. Romanov, Rev. Adv. Mater. Sci. 44, 63 (2016).Google Scholar
- 21.Y. Hijikata, S. Yagi, H. Yaguchi, and S. Yoshida, in Physics and Technology of Silicon Carbide Devices, Ed. by Y. Hijikata (InTech, Rijeka, Croatia, 2012), pp. 181–206.Google Scholar
- 24.S. G. Zhukov, S. A. Kukushkin, A. V. Luk’yanov, A. V. Osipov, and N. A. Feoktistov, RF Patent no. 130996, 2013.Google Scholar
- 27.R. Rao, A. M. Rao, B. Xu, J. Dong, S. Sharma, and M. K. Sunkara, J. Appl. Phys. 98, 094312 (2005).Google Scholar