Ferroelectric properties of RbNbO3 and RbTaO3
Phonon spectra of cubic rubidium niobate and rubidium tantalate with the perovskite structure are calculated from first principles within the density functional theory. Based on the analysis of unstable modes in phonon spectra, symmetries of possible distorted phases are determined, their energies are calculated, and it is shown that R3m is the ground-state structure of RbNbO3. In RbTaO3, the ferroelectric instability is suppressed by zero-point lattice vibrations. For ferroelectric phases of RbNbO3, spontaneous polarization, piezoelectric, nonlinear optical, electro-optical, and other properties as well as the energy band gap in the LDA and GW approximations are calculated. The properties of rhombohedral RbNbO3 are compared with those of rhombohedral KNbO3, LiNbO3, and BaTiO3.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. A. Smolenskii and N. V. Kozhevnikova, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 76, 519 (1951).Google Scholar
- 6.J. A. Kafalas, in Proceedings of the 5th Materials Research Symposium, Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States, October 18–21, 1971 (NBS Spec. Publ., No. 364, 287 (1972)).Google Scholar
- 10.G. Burns, E. A. Giess, and D. F. O’Kane, US Patent No. 3 640 865 (1972).Google Scholar
- 13.The ABINIT code is a common project of the Université Catholique de Louvain, Corning Incorporated and other contributions. http://www.abinit.org/.
- 16.Opium—Pseudopotential Generation Project. http://opium.sourceforge.net/.