On the positions of impurity modes in phonon spectra of metallic alloys
- 29 Downloads
Positions of local and quasi-local impurity frequencies in metallic alloys have been considered. It has been shown that the differences between the frequencies calculated in the isotopic approximation and the experimental values can be explained not only by a change in the force constants (force shifts), as it is usually done, but also by a change in the effective mass of the oscillations (mass shifts). Comparison of the calculations with the experimental data demonstrates that the main role in the difference between the frequencies calculated in the isotopic approximation and the experimental values is played by the mass shifts rather than the force shifts, at least for local modes.
KeywordsImpurity Atom Phonon Spectrum Metallic Alloy Mass Shift Impurity Mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. A. Maradudin, E. W. Montroll, and G. H. Weiss, Theory of Lattice Dynamics in the Harmonic Approximation (Academic, New York, 1963; Mir, Moscow, 1965).Google Scholar
- 2.I. M. Lifshits, S. A. Gredeskul, and L. A. Pastur, Introduction to the Theory of Disordered Systems (Nauka, Moscow, 1982; Wiley, New York, 1988).Google Scholar
- 3.A. P. Zhernov, N. A. Chernoplekov, and E. Mrozan, Metals with Nonmagnetic Impurity Atoms (Energoatomizdat, Moscow, 1992) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.Yu. M. Kagan and Ya. A. Iosilevskii, Sov. Phys. JETP 18(2), 562 (1962).Google Scholar
- 8.H. V. Culbert and R. P. Huebener, Localized Excitations in Solids (Plenum, New York, 1968).Google Scholar
- 11.M. G. Zemlyanov and N. A. Chernoplekov, Sov. Phys. JETP 22, 315 (1965).Google Scholar
- 12.G. F. Syrykh, M. G. Zemlyanov, N. F. Chernoplekov, and B. I. Savel’ev, Sov. Phys. JETP 54(1), 165 (1982).Google Scholar
- 13.Yu. M. Kagan, in Proceedings of the School on Theory of Defects in Crystals, Tbilisi, 1966, p. 93.Google Scholar
- 16.I. Natkanies, K. Palinski, and J. A. Janik, in Proceedings of Symposium of Neutron Inelastic Scattering, International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, 1968, p. 65.Google Scholar
- 20.G. F. Syrykh, Candidate’s Dissertation (Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy, Moscow, 1985).Google Scholar