Photonic properties of two-dimensional high-contrast periodic structures: Numerical calculations
- 112 Downloads
The photon properties of two-dimensional periodic structures formed by infinite homogeneous dielectric cylinders packed in a square lattice have been investigated theoretically. Depending on the dielectric contrast between the cylinders and the surrounding medium, the photonic band structure, transmission spectra of crystals with a finite number of layers, and spectra of Mie scattering by an isolated cylinder have been calculated. The calculations have been performed for the TE polarization. The transformation of photonic stop-bands corresponding to Bragg and Mie resonances has been analyzed using the obtained data. The main effect consists in “castling” energy positions of the Bragg stop-bands and Mie stop-bands. For low-contrast photonic crystals, the low-frequency region of the energy spectrum is determined by Bragg stop-bands, and Mie stop-bands are located higher in energy. With an increase in the dielectric contrast, the energy of Mie stop-bands decreases, and they intersect the region of Bragg stop-bands weakly varying in the TE polarization and form the low-energy region of the spectrum.
KeywordsPhotonic Crystal Stop Band Reciprocal Lattice Vector Photonic Structure Infinite Cylinder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Optical Properties of Photonic Structures: Interplay of Order and Disorder, Ed. by M. F. Limonov and R. M. De La Rue (CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, United States, 2012).Google Scholar
- 8.E. Semouchkina, Metamaterials: Classes, Properties and Applications (Nova Science, New York, 2010), pp. 137–164.Google Scholar
- 9.E. Semouchkina, Metamaterial (InTech, Rijeka, Croatia, 2012), pp. 91–112.Google Scholar
- 26.J. Joannopoulos, S. G. Johnson, J. N. Winn, and R. D. Meade, Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light, 2nd ed. (Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, United States, 2008).Google Scholar
- 27.J. A. Stratton, Electromagnetic Theory (Wiley, New York, 2007).Google Scholar