Electrical resistivity and thermal conductivity of SiC/Si ecoceramics prepared from sapele wood biocarbon
Samples of β-SiC/Si ecoceramics with a silicon concentration of ∼21 vol % have been prepared using a series of consecutive procedures (carbonization of sapele wood biocarbon, synthesis of high-porosity biocarbon with channel-type pores, infiltration of molten silicon into empty channels of the biocarbon, formation of β-SiC, and retention of residual silicon in channels of β-SiC). The electrical resistivity ρ and thermal conductivity κ of the β-SiC/Si ecoceramic samples have been measured in the temperature range 5–300 K. The values of ρ Si chan (T) and κ Si chan (T) have been determined for silicon Sichan located in β-SiC channels of the synthesized β-SiC/Si ecoceramics. Based on the performed analysis of the obtained results, the concentration of charge carriers (holes) in Sichan has been estimated as p ∼ 1019 cm−3. The factors that can be responsible for such a high value of p have been discussed. The prospects for practical application of β-SiC/Si ecoceramics have been considered.
KeywordsCharge Carrier Electrical Resistivity Effective Porosity Chrysotile Charge Carrier Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.C. E. Byrne and D. C. Nagle, US Patent No. 6 051 096 (1996); C. E. Byrne and D. C. Nagle, US Patent No. 6 124 028 (1998).Google Scholar
- 30.E. A. Bel’skaya and A. S. Tarabanov, in Thermophysical Properties of Solids: Collection of Papers (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1971), p. 111 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 31.Handbook of Physical Quantities, Ed. by I. S. Grigoriev and E. S. Meilikhov (Energoatomizdat, Moscow, 1991; CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, United States, 1997).Google Scholar
- 32.S. S. Shalyt, Electrical Conductivity of Semiconductors (Institute of Semiconductors, Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Leningrad, 1956), Vols. 1–2 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 33.E. Ya. Litovskii, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Neorg. Mater. 16, 559 (1980).Google Scholar
- 34.Thermal Conductivity of Solids: A Handbook, Ed. by A. S. Okhotin (Energoatomizdat, Moscow, 1984) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 36.G. N. Dul’nev and Yu. P. Zarichnyak, Thermal Conductivity of Mixtures and Composite Materials (Energiya, Leningrad, 1974) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 37.R. C. Pettersen, in The Chemistry of Solid Wood, Ed. by R. M. Rowell (American Chemistry Society, Washington, DC, 1984), Chap. 2, p. 119.Google Scholar