Phase transitions as a function of material constants and temperature in intermetallic compounds of the terfenol-D type
- First Online:
- 51 Downloads
A model of magnetic and magnetoelastic properties of intermetallic compounds has been considered with the inclusion of the influence of the “giant” magnetoelastic coupling and the biquadratic exchange interaction. The phase transitions as a function of material constants and temperature have been investigated in the framework of the proposed model. It has been demonstrated that the ferromagnetic and quadrupole phases can be formed in the system under consideration. In this case, the phase transition between these phases is a first-order transition and occurs through the intermediate, i.e., quadrupole-ferromagnetic, state. The dependences of the phase transition temperature on the Heisenberg and biquadratic exchange interaction constants have been obtained for compounds of the terfenol-D type.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. P. Belov and V. I. Sokolov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 48, 979 (1965) [Sov. Phys. JETP 21, 652 (1965)].Google Scholar
- 2.I. S. Tereshina, S. A. Nikitin, G. A. Politova, A. A. Opalenko, E. A. Tereshina, and I. V. Telegina, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 51(1), 85 (2009) [Phys. Solid State 51 (1), 92 (2009)].Google Scholar
- 3.S. A. Nikitin, T. I. Ivanova, N. Yu. Pankratov, Yu. G. Pastushenkov, and K. P. Skokov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 47(3), 501 (2005) [Phys. Solid State 47 (3), 517 (2005)].Google Scholar
- 7.É. L. Nagaev, Magnets with Complex Exchange Interactions (Nauka, Moscow, 1988) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 10.E. A. Turov and V. G. Shavrov, Usp. Fiz. Nauk 140(3), 429 (1983) [Sov. Phys.-Usp. 26 (7), 593 (1983)].Google Scholar
- 13.R. O. Zaĭtsev, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 68(1), 207 (1975) [Sov. Phys. JETP 41 (1), 100 (1975)].Google Scholar
- 14.V. G. Bar’yakhtar, V. N. Krivoruchko, and D. A. Yablonskiĭ, Green’s Functions in the Theory of Magnetism (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1984) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 15.Yu. N. Mitsaĭ and Yu. A. Fridman, Teor. Mat. Fiz. 81, 263 (1989).Google Scholar
- 16.V. V. Val’kov and T. A. Val’kova, Preprint No. 667F, IF SO AN SSSR (Kirensky Institute of Physics, Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences of the Soviet Union, Krasnoyarsk, 1990).Google Scholar