Nonlinear absorption and refraction of light in a colloidal solution of CdSe/ZnS quantum dots upon two-photon resonant excitation
- 66 Downloads
This paper reports on the results of an investigation into the nonlinear transmission of individual ultrashort pulses of a train generated by a mode-locked laser through a colloidal solution of CdSe/ZnS quantum dots in toluene upon two-photon resonant excitation of the fundamental optical transition. The specific features of the nonlinear transmission are explained in terms of the two-photon absorption and self-defocusing processes. Analysis of the experimental results makes it possible to separate the self-defocusing processes that are governed by the inertialess change in the refractive index due to the interaction of high-power optical pulses with bound electrons and those determined by the nonlinear change in the refractive index under the action of two-photon-excited carriers in a quantum dot.
PACS numbers73.21.La 42.65.-k
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. M. Gibbs, G. Khitrova, and N. Peyghambarian, Non-linear Photonics (Springer, Berlin, 1990).Google Scholar
- 2.Yu. V. Vandyshev, V. S. Dneprovskiĭ, V. I. Klimov, and D. K. Okorokov, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 54(8), 441 (1991) [JETP Lett. 54 (8), 442 (1991)].Google Scholar
- 4.D. N. Klyshko, Physical Foundations of Quantum Electronics (Nauka, Moscow, 1986) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.M. J. Kelly, Low-Dimensional Semiconductors (Clarendon, Oxford, 1995).Google Scholar
- 6.H. Gibbs, Optical Bistability: Controlling Light with Light (Academic, Orlando, 1985; Mir, Moscow, 1988).Google Scholar