Nonuniformity of carrier injection and the degradation of blue LEDs
- 74 Downloads
The distribution of electroluminescence (EL) intensity over the area and in the course of time before and after the optical degradation of blue InGaN/GaN LEDs is studied. Current-voltage characteristics have been recorded. It is found that the initially bright luminescence near the region of metallization of the p-contact turns weak after the degradation of an LED. The time delay of ∼20–40 ns is observed in the distribution of EL intensity over the area of LEDs after their degradation. We suppose that a rise in the excess current after degradation is due to the density increasing of the InGaN/GaN interface states and the formation of an electrical dipole, which lowers the potential barriers in p-GaN and n-GaN layers. The corresponding increase of capacitance leads to a time delay in the spreading of the injection current and in the distribution of the emission brightness over the area. The lateral nonuniformity of the carrier injection into the quantum, well before and after optical degradation, is attributed to diffusion and electromigration of hydrogen, induced by mechanical stress. The metallization of the p-contact may be the source of mechanical stress.
KeywordsHydrogen Time Delay Magnetic Material Mechanical Stress Potential Barrier
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Nakamura and G. Fasol, The Blue Laser Diode: GaN Based Light Emitters and Lasers (Springer, Berlin, 1998).Google Scholar
- 3.M. Osinski, D. L. Barton, P. Perlin, and J. Lee, J. Cryst. Growth 189-190, 808 (1998).Google Scholar
- 4.Introduction to Nitride Semiconductor Blue Laser and Light Emitting Diodes, Ed. by S. Nakamura and S. F. Chichibu (Taylor and Francis, London, 2000).Google Scholar
- 5.A. N. Kovalev, F. I. Manyakhin, V. E. Kudryashov, et al., Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. (St. Petersburg) 33, 242 (1999) [Semiconductors 33, 192 (1999)].Google Scholar
- 7.Y. T. Rebane, N. I. Bochkareva, V. E. Bougrov, et al., Proc. SPIE 4996, 113 (2003).Google Scholar
- 8.N. I. Bochkareva, E. A. Zhirnov, A. A. Efremov, et al., Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. (St. Petersburg) 39, 627 (2005) [Semiconductors 39, 594 (2005)].Google Scholar
- 9.N. I. Bochkareva, E. A. Zhirnov, A. A. Efremov, et al., Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. (St. Petersburg) 39, 829 (2005) [Semiconductors 39, 795 (2005)].Google Scholar