Charge of a Particle-Absorbing Sphere in Collisionless Plasma by the Results of a Direct Numerical Experiment
The process of charging of a spherical body absorbing plasma electrons and ions is modeled by directly solving the Vlasov–Poisson equations. The main goal of the numerical experiment is to determine the sphere charge in a stable steady state established on long times in perturbed plasma. Special attention is paid to the contribution of trapped ions moving in finite orbits to the screening of a charged body. The charge of the trapped particle cloud is determined as a function of the body size in a wide parameter range of an initially unperturbed plasma.
This work was supported by the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences, program OFN III-2.
- 5.Ya. L. Al’pert, A. V. Gurevich, and L. P. Pitaevskii, Space Physics with Artificial Sattelites (Nauka, Moscow, 1964; Consultants Bureau, New York, 1965).Google Scholar
- 6.Yu. P. Raizer, Gas Discharge Physics (Nauka, Moscow, 1987; Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1991).Google Scholar
- 12.Complex and Dusty Plasmas, Ed. by V. E. Fortov and G. E. Morfill (CRC, Boca Raton, FL, 2010).Google Scholar
- 17.V. D. Shafranov, in Reviews of Plasma Physics, Ed. by M. A. Leontovich (Consultants Bureau, New York, 1967), Vol. 3, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 21.E. M. Lifshitz and L. P. Pitaevskii, Physical Kinetics (Nauka, Moscow, 1979; Pergamon, Oxford, 1981).Google Scholar